Author Topic: Oh god, has it really came to this?  (Read 5651 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Oh god, has it really came to this?
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »
 More lunacy from the London "Peel" fabricators....

khan, peel’s commercial director, revealed that they plan to open a peel theme park next year in the isle of man, where the original peel cars were made. the 28-year-old said: “there are ongoing negotiations with the isle of man government to have an attrac-tion called peel world. “it would be like legoland where you can drive the car, go to a mini fac-tory, learn about the history and see archive footage. “hopefully, it will be ready in 2012, which would be the 50th anniversary of the first peel p50.”

::)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Oh god, has it really came to this?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »
well, what else do you expect them to do with unsold P50 replicas?

Malcolm Bricklin did this in the USA with the Subaru 360.
He *was* Subaru USA  at the time.  When he found himself with a pile of inventory he could not sell, he set up "tracks" around the country where you could "race" a Subaru 360.  Like go-carts, but with real cars.
Apparently he also got people to pay him to dump their old used tires which he used to create the crash barriers around the tracks.

I should also point out that a press release does not mean that anything will actually happen.
They could have simply sent off a letter to someone on the Isle of Man asking if they were interested in this. This would allow them to make the claim that they are in "ongoing negotiations."  Of course, the other side has not responded...but negotiations are "ongoing."

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »
More lunacy from the London "Peel" fabricators....

khan, peel’s commercial director, revealed that they plan to open a peel theme park next year in the isle of man, where the original peel cars were made. the 28-year-old said: “there are ongoing negotiations with the isle of man government to have an attrac-tion called peel world. “it would be like legoland where you can drive the car, go to a mini fac-tory, learn about the history and see archive footage. “hopefully, it will be ready in 2012, which would be the 50th anniversary of the first peel p50.”

::)

I dont see the appeal in that. I like the idea you can drive a car, but cant you already do that at Ripleys??

Anyway, I prefer the idea of a micro museum, where you see ORIGINAL cars!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
i bet it would be very popular with holiday makers but any rides would be VERY tame indeed . they would have to go around on a merry go round like track , or at least a railtrack . otherwise health and safety wouldnt let children near them . would only appeal to very young children though.
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
 Use number 147 in the "Big Book of What To Do With Unsold "Peels""...  Get onto Cadburys & turn them into airships...   :)

http://www.peelengineering.co.uk/

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
well well well  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »
I wonder about starting a repro brand of Peel off made by Pillock Engineering Ltd., Isle of Muck. The all wheel drive version, the solar powered submarine version and the first to go into orbit among our specialities.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »
When making an ad for a product called Cadburys BUBBLY why on earth didnt they opt to use a Trident???

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 07:52:10 AM »
cos a Trident would be too sharp it might have burst the bubble  ;)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
When making an ad for a product called Cadburys BUBBLY why on earth didnt they opt to use a Trident???

Cadbury's would, British. Kraft do not know about the Trident as they are American where the exposure is for the P50. So message from Brum to Head Office in America got misunderstood. Give me odds. It is the Colt Starion all over again.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »
The Kraft Ad. people have missed out there. Could have had bubble car molds made up something like a Peel and not a lump of dogs poo!  Just imagine the TV ad with lines of purple wrapped choccy cars coming of the production line to a tunefull  song, "We love ripping off the peel and sucking on our bubbles. It makes us so happy that we forget all of our troubles"   ::)
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 09:36:47 AM »
The subliminal message in this advert is, I think, Cadbury's Chocolate gives you chronic wind? Either that or a change in recipe, which they are dicking about with according to my chum chocoholics, makes you fatter even quicker. I never really got into the head of advertisers when we worked for them as only they were allowed to have ideas and you could tell a bad one a mile off. Still it paid the wages at the time so why car. More over paid idiots in offices though.