Author Topic: Dymaxion Clip  (Read 3930 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Dymaxion Clip
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:10:38 AM »
Look at this great Dymaxion clip, does anyone recognise the woman riding in it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlLZE23EJKs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Dymaxion Clip
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
I have read about and seen photos and engineering drawings of the Dymaxions (I think 2 were made) but have never seen fillum of them. Brilliant find, great to see it in action, cheers for posting.

That looks suspiciously like Amelia Nosedear.

Er, Earhart
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
And yet another prize goes to Marcus, it is indeed Amelia.  What about a packet of Rice creamola? yum yum!! You also qualify for the second prize which is being stand in drummer for the fabulous "Night Riders" for one year! Brush up on your Shadows!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:20:05 PM by Bob Purton »

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:33:33 PM »
I think 2 were made

Yes two were made, though one crashed back in the day and only one genuine car remains. Norman Foster built a recreation that showcased in a recent design mag, I forget which but you can read about it here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2010/oct/05/norman-foster-dymaxion-buckminster-fuller

Bob, you should remember it's creator, the very man who designed geodesic domes.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:36:25 PM by blob »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »
Bob, do you remember Creamola Foam? It is a fruit flavour sherbert-like stuff in a little tin which you can eat or add water to for a fizzy drink. As for stand in drummer I thought you had one! Busy on my 3rd solo CD now

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
I think 2 were made

Yes two were made, though one crashed back in the day and only one genuine car remains. Norman Foster built a recreation that showcased in a recent design mag, I forget which but you can read about it here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2010/oct/05/norman-foster-dymaxion-buckminster-fuller

Bob, you should remember it's creator, the very man who designed geodesic domes.  ;)

Yes, you only have to look at the windscreen frame to see that but I wasn't going to mention that as it may have pushed you over the edge again and I would have had to visit you in the mental hospital! You would have been in the next padded cell to big Al! :D  AS you have mention it I can only say that I did quite well out of it thanks very much! :D :D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »
Bob, do you remember Creamola Foam? It is a fruit flavour sherbert-like stuff in a little tin which you can eat or add water to for a fizzy drink. As for stand in drummer I thought you had one! Busy on my 3rd solo CD now

I dont remember the foam only rice creamola which you mix with milk to make a great desert, you can still buy it.  We have a drummer who is stuggling a bit, he is fine with basic rock, country etc but not so familiar with shads style. Stand in we dont have.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »
'Fraid I'm a bit busy at present, including getting close to completion of my 3rd solo CD. The new Dymaxion looks good would love a ride in it. There was a Scandinavian car of similar Epic Streamliner styling, but a bit more futurist I believe it is in a Flight (Flygg ?) Mueum over there

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:55:55 AM »
I understood there to have been three original Dymexion. One was crashed after a steering failure. Norman Collier, so-ry Fo-t-r, has a repro as does Geoff Lane, also owner of numerous microcars. One original is being rebuilt in California I think. Fantastic creation and Buckmaster Fuller is a most interesting guy to read about. Do not forget Bucky Balls.

Several film clips of the car but the famous one is the car circulating a policeman on point duty. If you watch the films you will see the differing cars.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
I understood there to have been three original Dymexion. One was crashed after a steering failure. Norman Collier, so-ry Fo-t-r, has a repro as does Geoff Lane, also owner of numerous microcars. One original is being rebuilt in California I think. Fantastic creation and Buckmaster Fuller is a most interesting guy to read about. Do not forget Bucky Balls.

Several film clips of the car but the famous one is the car circulating a policeman on point duty. If you watch the films you will see the differing cars.

I had to think for a while before I remembered who he is...Red Dwarf's computer.
As for Bucky Balls (Carbon 90) there was a programme called Plastic - How It Works on BBC 4 a few nights ago (I think that's the right name). Fascinating documentary, showing the development of different plastics and the difficulties of producing them. Two scientists at Manchester University discovered another form of carbon a few years back and received Nobel Prizes for figuring out how to harness its amazing properties., e.g. it can be peeled to a sheet exactly one Atom thin, and conducts electricity at (if I recall correctly) 3,000 ft per second, very useful for computers and electronics. I also learned that Carbon Fibre had been invented at Farnborough aerospace labs. Nice to see high calibre British boffinry on TV, such a rare thing.

Er, this post IS micro-car-related, see the bold words!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
Indeed more related to microcars than the dymaxion itself. But, hey, the Dymaxion is bonkers so I do not care. I would love one.

No use for Bucky Balls other than as a lubricant I believe. It will be found and possibly form part of a next generation technology as Silica should be able to do the same thing or included in the matrix, which could mean multi-linked transistors etc. A bit more like an organic brain.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs