Author Topic: scootacar mk I image  (Read 4049 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
scootacar mk I image
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:30:40 PM »
for those who like a bit of black and white . always nice to see original publicity photo's , but probably nothing new for you experts .
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:32:15 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: scootacar mk I image
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »
Interesting to see as the door fits properly, something I have never seen on an old one, I'm guessing the fiberglass shrinks or moves causing the bottom edge to flare out a little. Has anyone ever been able to fix this on there door?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »
now you mention it looking at google images that does seem fairly common, theres always something in a period photo isn't there

whats going on in the headlamp area ? can i see those stepped chrome rims reducing the lens size by 1/2 " or so . as fitted to my old ajs/ matchless lightweight motorcycle ? surely thats not a straightforward lens in chrome rim there is it ?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:57:28 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »
I dont know what you mean Richard but here are my pair of Scoot headlights, 5 3/4" Wico Pacy. I think some of the components are the same as used on BSA Bantams. This pair cost me a pretty penny! I have a spare lens, bezel and reflector that I picked up from the Enfield Pageant of motoring.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:29:47 PM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
they are BEAUTIFUL and absolutely correct i am sure , but look closely - blow it up or whatever . is it just me ? on this photo i feel the chrome rims have a taper or step to them

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 10:41:10 PM »
Yes, the sides of the bezels start to taper in about half way along their width. Whats your point?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »
not on your photo . on my photo can you not see a step in the rim ? not a taper . it must just be me .

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:36 AM »
Given that this car has a bright strip round its 'bumpers' it looks as if the hinges are painted body colour not left as ali finish.

Cannot make my mind up over the headlights.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 11:13:59 AM »
Interesting to see as the door fits properly, something I have never seen on an old one, I'm guessing the fiberglass shrinks or moves causing the bottom edge to flare out a little. Has anyone ever been able to fix this on there door?
If it is the door that you want to reform, I have had good success reshaping a very thick and difficult to flex single skin door from a one off race car to more properly fit it's surrounding body aperture.  I used a large ratcheting clamp with a soft plastic landing to "tweak" it into a slightly over corrected position.  The fiberglass will tell you when you have reached maximum tweak, as you will become afraid to stress it any further for fear of cracking.
My door had unusually thick fiberglass that withstood what felt like at least a 100 lb force.  I then roughed up the inside of the newly dis/ res-torted area, and used an epoxy base for a couple of hefty layers of fiberglass mat.  Squeegeed them out underneath a sheet of Saran (plastic ) wrap, and left it all out in the sun for a full week for good measure.
I was amazed how well it worked. Several years later it has given back none of its corrected dimension, and not even developed stress cracks in the gel coat despite its harboring at least 100lbs of "twang".
In another example, I had noticed that my Badsey Bullet prototype's upward swinging dual cowls stuck out too much on the sides due to the fact that the engine cover (a visible body part) that lies betwixt them was built too wide.  I modified a work bench vise to accommodate its 18" width and cranked away until the creaking was almost too much to bear.  This was a more flexible part so I took the opportunity to cast in a rib as an arch support and overcorrected fully by a 50% margin. Same great result with no signs of reversion or gel coat cracking some two years on.  Got lucky on the larger over correction factor again too!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »
Gret advise there it will help on the bruetsch bonnet , I need to reshape thanks

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »
A good technique Steven! Wouldnt be quite so easy on a Scootarcar door though. There is a fiberglass map pocket molded into the inner door skin making a very rigid shape. I guess this could be partially cut away first, then the Mandell treatment and rebond back the pocket afterwards. The curved crease in the door as it joins the wheel arch compounds the problem further.
Notice how on google images most of the owners photograph their cars from the right hand side to hide the bad door fit? That or hold the door open.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:15:00 PM by Bob Purton »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »
not on your photo . on my photo can you not see a step in the rim ? not a taper . it must just be me .

I think thats a reflection you are seeing.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 02:36:31 PM »
Maybe it is - it just caught my eye