Author Topic: period photo for comment  (Read 5723 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
period photo for comment
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:43:19 PM »
not unknown but what can we add to this pic ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: period photo for comment
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
Well at least it has doors which is more than can be said for The one I sold to Bruce Weiner.

BMA Hazelcar. I know we all immediately think electric but I think I remember reading somewhere that they also made some  petrol ones? There was an article in RCN I believe.
Yes, the petrol ones came first with a Ford 8 engine.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:46:59 PM by Bob Purton »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:35 AM »
There's an excellent website

http://www.hazelcar.co.uk/index.htm
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »
The transverse Ford version sounds really quite interesting. OK not a Microcar, but like many of these small cars that were more miniaturized big cars than a design up from manpower to the minimalist putter power of a small engine, in this case they realized that an underpowered unit was not going to work. Unfortunately we are not told why they did not sel,l save that possibly Ford refused to supply due to the Korean war. This was at a time when much was rationed, so it is possible. Taking this power issue on though, several MIcrocars should have been more successful had they offered a more powerful engine. Powerdrive/Coronet springs to mind. They are not bad to drive in all manners save they are underpowered and therefore unreliable. There are others, Jarc/Astra/Zeta, though here the Zeta gets closer to a result with the 3T unit.
Those smaller cars that did benefit from the extra investment of more engine tended to not be Microcars very long. Lloyds, NSU, even Goggo and BMW all found that small cars sold well if you got it right. The British market is really bereft of offerings other than the dear old Reliant who did devote some time to create a good engine, even if it was someone else's cast off. The larger manufacturers never really looked interested, going from A30/35 to MIni was not really miniaturizing. The Imp might be nearest flirtation, in fact. The bonus for us is it left the way open for the entrepreneur to try and fill the gap and we have some wonderfully eccentric British machines, who's biggest opposition were the great German offerings of the time, as a result.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
Well at least it has doors which is more than can be said for The one I sold to Bruce Weiner.

BMA Hazelcar. I know we all immediately think electric but I think I remember reading somewhere that they also made some  petrol ones? There was an article in RCN I believe.
Yes, the petrol ones came first with a Ford 8 engine.

The Hazelcar information can be found in RCN 77 & 78

Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »
Who's that good looking guy?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:51:48 AM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:16:44 PM »
yeah maybe and we know why he's smiling  ;)

BUT THAT IS SOME DODGY LOOKING TRAILER  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »
This is true, I had to borrow that trailer from Ken Bell, it wouldnt go on my three wheeler one.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 06:53:33 AM »
Fancy dropping Ken in it like that.

One day we will all look back on trailers we have used and wonder how we got away with as the tax comes due on the MOTed trailer padlocked to the garage wall. I always feel some much less depressed when spring finally appears, you know.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »
Oh you have news on spring then do you. When is it expected ?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
Well it has arrived round here as I found the Collets holding it back in the road. The grass has grown but the trees are still not convinced.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 08:25:19 AM »
Severe hail and snow in essex I heard yesterday - so spring bouncing a bit

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 09:06:54 AM »
Maybe our trees can see Essex. It certainly got chilly last night where I was stuck with a broken down van. Guess what, the new part bought to repair it has proved duff, fantastic! I would never have expected it! Fortunately being of stout frame and very annoyed I managed to bump start the van on the slight slope, return and collect the trailer taken off for the proceedure and get home. I swear that we are going to reverse engineer our way to death with all this rubbish that is being produced.

So the joy of finding a new shed yesterday was tempered with now fixing a fix, already done, with a quality part, that probably is not available, but for going to the scrap yard to find one on a 20 year old car! I must get my diesel powered 1957 Wolseley sorted out. The best of the old technology melded to the best of later technology before ECUs. Leather seats, disc brakes, turbo 1748cc on 5 speed. wood dash with matching proper dials, no plastic. Only gadget, a rather fetching extra light in the middle of the radiator grill to make people see you coming as they will think, 'Woz dat!' instead of bimbling on the 'phones, playing with knobs or generally doing anything other than driving correctly.

Then I will start collecting Bofors guns!