Author Topic: Car and Classic Bubble car ad  (Read 4621 times)

Stef

• Occasional
  • Don't burst my Bubble World!
Car and Classic Bubble car ad
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »
Apologies if posts have already been made on this car, blame the newbie!

Following my first post on a different topic area, I'm actively seeing a Heinkel Trojan.

Although seemingly overpriced, I took the opportunity to draw out the reddies, hire a trailer and go over to view the car as advertised on Car and Classic, Hertfordshire

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C355417#

Described as stunning and brilliant, with loads of spares, and early model and re-upholstered I had good hopes, especially after confirming on the phone it was ready for the road.

Oh how I was wrong.

Firstly, it is not UK registered (Swedish) and thus not legal on UK roads.  Perhaps something that wouldn't stop me?... The fact it had no ignition, or any keys and has clearly not been started in a long while was an absolute pee take.

The paint is not great and there are signs of bodywork attention required.  A full strip down, treat and repaint required.  The 're-upholstering'?  Pah, looked original to me aside from the shoddily slapped in tartan cloth body liners which are probably the most recent (yet still old) upholstering effort.  As for the 'lots of spares' random plastic boxes of worthless bits n bobs.

Onto the date, 1957 as stated in the advert yet registered in Sweden 1962...?  Add that one up.

From my call confirming it was ready for the road and a stern 'you do know the price?' reaction I'd say it's worth at the most half the asking price, IF it was running.

Total miss sell.  I didn't bother looking at the paperwork.

It is currently with a nice old boy in his 80's who is mostly blind and clearly is no mechanic.  Selling for his son apparently, but as conversations flowed there seemed to be mix in who actually owns it and as his son was in Dubai at time of viewing, a proper conversation could not be held.  Weird circumstances going on I'd say.

Would be interesting to know if anyone else has been to look or know anything on this car.  But please be warned if you are considering looking to buy.

Stef

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: Car and Classic Bubble car ad
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:36:10 AM »
Stef
Welcome to the bubble car world of the Good, the Bad and the Big Al

micro marshall

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
haven't seen it but it looks reasonable, but you need to check under the rubber matting and the chassis because that is where they like to rust. :P :P
just a bit of advice i thought you might want. ;D
peel p50   28 chickens  Land Rover series 3   Ginetta G26  Heinkel 175
check out
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWWcFabkWKKjKynSLLeW7qw
for the RUMcars you tube channel

Stef

• Occasional
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »
Hello and thanks for the welcome!  :)

The car really is not worth the £10k price.  Certainly not without it running!

Repairs had been made on the floor pan and more will be required.  Worryingly the spare wheel casing has received a hit that has pushed it up an one of the rails underside had a small dent too.  Possibly a 3 wheeler on a trailer failure?  Just too many questions and things to pick on for my liking.

As said, if running and half the price I may of considered it.  The poor selling has also made me steer away.

Real shame.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
To be fair you can start a Trienkel with a small blade, screwdriver or other slip of metal so the Ignaro key not being present is not as bad as it might be. However for £10k I would expect it to have driven from Sweden, or at least be capable of getting back there. That requires a spin round the block at the very least. Trojan did not make these cars in 1957 so something has gone wrong in the translation. The old adage is 'if it don't feel right, walk away'.

Is this Mr Osse? Known to work out of Dubai.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stef

• Occasional
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »
Don't think there is a Mr Osse involved.

Pete is the son I understand.  Lillian his wife?

May contact them in a few weeks to see what they will take as it is highly unlikely they will sell in its current state and price.  They are just too hard to find not to have some consideration on it!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »
Sorry, your new, I call it humour but others call it very irritating - Dubai Osse. Apologies, but my little band of supporters will be sniggering at the back of the class.

Treinkels are out there but finding a good one is not easy. Getting better as folk are attempting much better restoration jobs. If you find a tatty one with an original shell, grab it unless your not into restoration. There are several differing floor designs but the replacement is a one fits all, fair enough in many cases as an affordable answer, but not for the best cars. So be careful with high budget pretty boys as they might not be correct.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »
Consider how much something like this will cost to restore, especially if it is bad or non-original to start with!

A car that's never been played around with is worth its weight in gold (like my Isetta).

If a really really good car comes up at £15,000 you will be quids-in compared to this one at at price.  I think Isettas are making £15,000 but not Heinkels yet???  tell me I'm wrong someone.

http://cars.trovit.co.uk/index.php/cod.frame/url.http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F710-53481-19255-0%252F1%253Ftoolid%253D10029%2526campid%253D5336652905%2526customid%253DCUSTOMID%2526catId%253D9800%2526type%253D2%2526ext%253D271216645619%2526item%253D271216645619/id_ad.1k1E1P51K11He/what_d.Isetta/pop.0

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:55:43 PM by Barry »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »
I would love to for two reasons, Barry, but I cannot! As the collector eclipses usage the prices start to reflect availability and the Schmitts dominance is under threat as far as prices go. Trienkels are rarer than both Schmitt and Isetta but not so instantly recognized. Where is that heading, I do not know.

Stef

• Occasional
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 10:16:05 AM »
Thanks for the 'joke' I'll happily accept sniggers from those in the know and breeze along whistfully dumb from understanding!  ;D

No doubt I'll fall victim many more times...  ::)

Although I am useless when it comes to spannering, I have folk in the know so a project car is not out the question.  One already at least half decent would be preferable but beggars can't be choosers  :)

I shall likely be drawing on your expert, and comical, opinions when opportunities arise!

Sure no-one on here couldn't part with a little bubble for me...?  :-*

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 02:05:16 PM »
Dont worry Stef. None of us get Als jokes, he is happy in his own little world! ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »
as bob says he's a bit odd  :D

okay so quite a bit  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stef

• Occasional
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 08:41:01 PM »
Odd is cool  ;D

Far better than being normal!

...flibble...

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 05:41:45 PM »
Stef,
The nearly sightless owner who was actually the former driver, is a situation similar to one that I investigated once.
He had described the car in glowing terms, and eventually sent me negatives that he took on my bequest to verify its condition.
Wasn't worth the cost of developing them. He seemed to think that it was OK to have rust bubling up around the steering box mount on the floor, and the entire underside looking so rusted as to not to want to touch anything for fear that it would need to be replaced if you did so.
As I recall the rear engine cover was even quite crooked and obviously heavily filled with Bondo.
His price was not as high a couple of years ago.  I believe that it was about 6,000 GBP, but it was a good deal to stay away from.   He got quite upset when I dispassionately pointed out the numerous stomach turning flaws even though I was doing my best to be factual rather than condemning.

My advise is to instead find one where a proper restoration has been mostly completed- the more the better.  Let someone else do the heavy lifting, and then loose motivation just before completing the project.  Then always verify with at least someone else who you trust's eye at the scene.  You can even do this with ebay sales.
In my opinion this is how you will be most likely to get the best deal on a good car for considerably less than the aforementioned asking price, and save yourself a sweatload, and a good amount of cash in the process.
After all, you will be starting at full motivational level with not a whole lot to complete, to take over for a jobber who was doing it right, but, as often is the case ran out of motivation before finishing .