Author Topic: Ideal Project for Bob Purton  (Read 8399 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Ideal Project for Bob Purton
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 06:02:49 PM »
Sold to the Shetlands, for the gearbox? Was I the only person inquiring enough to look and appreciate, till it was publicized as scandal? I hope not.

And there was I always telling folk that the benefit of the Isetta was its ease of restoration due to it having a separate chassis. Reflecting on that, perhaps your are correct now that restorations have passed beyond the pleasure of just getting the cars to reliable driver status. Now they have to be better than when they came down the line at the factory. An isetta has more bits than some microcars and becomes, therefore, more difficult to restore before taking into account the help and spares availability. Been a bit of a hiccup there. My feeling was that a Trienkel was more difficult, Now maybe not so due to its simplicity.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 07:16:56 PM »
One less to worry about then.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 07:30:40 PM »
I think you hit the nail on the head Al. there are just so many parts! Seperate engine, gearbox, and transmission case, complex steering too. I've found getting my one in good well adjusted order a real challenge. Just this week I changed the engine mounts and you need to be a contorsionist! Club spares can be half the problem, my car had club supplied non original mounts which were made from the wrong shore rated rubber, the result being that the engine sagged and whallowed around in then causing all sortsd of probs for the exhaust. I fitted right ones from Dave Tadman [Bromley Bubble] and all of a sudden everything is in the right position again. You have to learn your stuff and cannot always trust the "experts!" Anyway, better stop before the headmaster points out Isetta's are not "Unusual "microcars.   

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 03:04:21 AM »
From memory Isetta mounts are pretty hard fellows. It should make a huge difference if the engine was not controlled from moving excessively. To the extent that it is quicker as more power is going to the rear wheel and less to stretching rubber mounts and donuts. Gear-change should be better too. A right result for a lot of mucking about. Be interesting if the engine requires a tweak of tune once it settles to its new situation to hit the sweet spot. Thumper is an unusual microcar. It gets driven!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 07:04:38 PM »
BOB is back! Number now non transferable? Funniest yellow I have seen
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:39:50 PM by issysuy »
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 07:57:58 PM »
Back number ? Is that back registered at DVLA ?and still on Isetta
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »
I think number has been reinstated on car under V765 scheme and they are non-transferable. Are mechanical bits missing as no picture of engine and back end Big Al said gearbox going to Scotland
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble