Author Topic: Girostarter help needed.  (Read 11894 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Girostarter help needed.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 11:18:38 PM »
That's good news Nick. Sounds like the French Inter good old boys network is functioning well. I got a lot of help from those guys when doing mine.

Barry, not sure you were on the right track. All the parts do is joint two sections of a shaft together by a long bolt through the centre,  there is no unidirectional element or clutch, the clutch is inside the gyrostarter unit. Once this is bolted up that's it, it doesn't move like  a ratchet its fixed in position permanently. .

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »
Until the bolt comes loose !!!!
                        Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »
That's good news Nick. Sounds like the French Inter good old boys network is functioning well. I got a lot of help from those guys when doing mine.

Barry, not sure you were on the right track. All the parts do is joint two sections of a shaft together by a long bolt through the centre,  there is no unidirectional element or clutch, the clutch is inside the gyrostarter unit. Once this is bolted up that's it, it doesn't move like  a ratchet its fixed in position permanently. .

I understand now Bob.  Thanks. That makes it much easier to fix (not easy though) because you can do anything you like with the worn ends as long as the end result is concentric, the right size and doesn't fall apart.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
You could but I think this arrangement was used because it spreads the stress the most evenly across the joining surfaces. Remember the start up process involved a very sudden power kick in, not a gentle start up like a dynastart. For instance if a woodruff key was used it would shear in no time at all.

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »
I know, I'll weld the crank to the Girostarter. That'll keep the bugger in place.                             Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 09:47:16 AM »
You could but I think this arrangement was used because it spreads the stress the most evenly across the joining surfaces. Remember the start up process involved a very sudden power kick in, not a gentle start up like a dynastart. For instance if a woodruff key was used it would shear in no time at all.
I can see what you mean. There was method in their madness.
Is there a decompressor?

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »

That answers the question I was thinking of asking! Never heard of this type of connection before or what it was for, but I knew I'd seen it somewhere else when I saw the photos. Fascinating stuff!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »
Thought it worth mentioning that the outer end of the gyrostarter is also supported by a bearing in the outer casing so this toothed joint isn't supporting the whole thing on its own.  They are an amazing device and must have cost a fortune to develop and produce, too complex to be reliable though. You can see how the simplicity of the Dynastart won the day, no contest.