Author Topic: Mink  (Read 23536 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Mink
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 11:47:31 AM »
Can I say Ladybird with respect to island orders for small cars? Goodness, there is even a similarity.

SX200 was a pretty powerful engine. I think the limiting factor was the odd wheelbase.

Not sure when Lambretta was passed on from Peter Agg, but it would remain so that the engine was unavailable for implant into other vehicles. I am sure Agg had the rights into the '70's, until he looked at Heron Suzuki. A deal would have needed to be done to use Lambretta units. As such it was an ill advised investment, unless there is some factual details we are unaware of.

Does a Tourette have reverse? No real knowledge of the Britannia. I was aware there was a none Sachs scooter. Great use was made of the tag Supreme but I never really understood what that denoted.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »
I had a chicken supreme last night and it went rather quickly.  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 01:48:47 PM »
Yes, they have the reverse dynastart but even if our friends motor has this it could still be a Britannia engine with a change of dynastart for use later in a microcar, then again it could be from a Tourette!
I fail to see the significance, at the end of the day its a Villiers 9e.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 05:00:04 PM »
Over 40 mph seems an unlikely event but if so I would expect it to be extremely "odd"! Nice looking though.

Considering its diminutive size, small frontal area combined with decent looking streamlining and the considerable power of the 200 cc Lambretta unit, I would think that even 60 mph would be possible.
Hopefully its gearing would have prevented this, as I would guess that the very short wheelbase combined with just 3 wheels would have made the ride quite darty to say the least.

On the other hand, has anyone any feedback from a drive in a 3 wheeled go cart of similar specification?
I am curious as to the nature of the resulting ride.  Certainly someone has been cavalier enough to give it a go.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »
Yes, they have the reverse dynastart but even if our friends motor has this it could still be a Britannia engine with a change of dynastart for use later in a microcar, then again it could be from a Tourette!
I fail to see the significance, at the end of the day its a Villiers 9e.

Indeed so, but it has all the correct bits for its installation, as not all 9E are the same. As such its an unusual find. Add the small bits of evidence that came with it. It just has to be worth following the records, if there are any, to see if this can be the engine from a rare car, or scooter for that matter.

It was actually bought as a suitable spare for a Scootacar. Maybe it will lead to a body without its engine stashed somewhere - Devon. We achieved this with a DKR Manx years back, I found the bike, sold it to a collector and later found the correct engine. To say he was pleased is an understatement.

For me, any proof of it being Progress means I would be looking at a faithful reproduction of a car I long rather liked the look of. Its a third original being engine/chassis/body in simplicity. If the ID was found even better. Puts it level with quite a few Tigers etc.

Google produced nil on the Progress Britannia. I seem to recall an attempt to Villiersfy the Sachs powered Storch, which was the basis for the Progress and Tempo, among other badge engineering efforts, to market the German original into home markets. I did find a Progress Anglian posing in front of a Tourette at the 1956 motor show. That looks more like an Adler? is it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 07:39:08 PM »
If you can describe the "bits for installation" I could tell you if they are Tourette. Apart from the engine mounts there is nothing unique. No chain case transmission like other cars. I would wager the scooter had the same type of mounts too. incidentally the Britannia, Briton and Anglian scooters were all Villiers powered. If M### wants to get in touch I can give him more info.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
come on you two , although hugely wandering off Mink , where is this engine your discussing i can't even find it ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 02:31:30 PM »
I imagine it is like a Scootacar unit. Not seen it yet. The original motivation was to nick parts for the rebuilt Scootacar engine, so that suggests the same cooling arrangement. Clearly that might not happen now. Since it has a reverse option it would seem likely it was fitted to something that offered reverse. More than that I cannot say. I merely cast the info out as it seemed rather an interesting find. It is for the owner to decide what he does with it, I theorize on what I would do with it. Anyway it would seem like you know about the unit in question since you have an idea as to where it might be now. I could not possibly comment. The owner has avoided telling me where it came from, not that I am greatly bothered. Other fish to fry but not a Mink.

So are we again looking at a range of scooters offering 150cc, 175cc and 200cc villiers power? The Britannia presumably being the top model.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 05:42:05 PM »
Hi Al. Yes a dickie bird did tell me about the engine and who had it. The microcar world is a very small one and its hard to keep any secrets for long. I have studied the 9e units fitted in both surviving Tourette cars and they are identical to what's in a scootcar. I know that because I have a scootacar engine in the Bobette. Remember the red former Mr Goldsworthy car is in Waynes collection just a couple of miles away from where I am so I have easy access to both cars.
I don't know about the engine sizes in the various Progress scooter models, I just have a page from an old motorcycle mag featuring the Tourette and also a scooter and it just mentioned all the range was Villiers powered. I will try and find out more.
One snippet we found out whilst you were away in Siberia was that Carr brothers made the Tourette bodies themselves on site which surprised me, I always imagined the job had been farmed out. Contact has been made with an ex employee so we may learn more!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »
I do not know much about Carr brothers, but like the crackers with cheese. To take the step of marketing branded products was a bold choice. The Tourette was pretty early on the scene at 1954. The scooters I have never come across trading, always a Progress was a badged Strolch with Sachs power, 175cc normally. So despite the efforts it seems sales were hard to find.
We will avoid where the idea for the Tourette came from but it is early for GRP again. Perhaps there was other production at the premises like accessories for vehicles. Its all a story that seems little known about.

The Mink is a decade later and really little further advanced than by dint of raiding someone else's parts bin for expensive gubbins as did Carr brothers. The body on this car is extremely fragile and it has had minimal driving use by Mike and Wynn as it is such a delicate car. Very surprised its for sale actually. However the quest to collect all things Fritz Fend/FMR is an expensive one, and requires space, so I assume that is the reason.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 07:05:05 PM »
you probably know that i like period detail but where would i find anything period written up on the MINK ? i am sure barry or perhaps malcolm could find us period images or write ups , i can't or haven't yet anyway . things about the Mink that i think look unoriginal at a glance are the harsh black trim , around the screen and headlights , and the steering wheel . not my area i suppose but these details , and also the lack of number plate light which would have been , and still is illegal , strike me us just a bit "odd" was it a concept/ prototype or what ?  also isn't that harsh white a bit too stark ? i think this car could actually look a little nicer hmmm

al , what was the ladybird reference a bit back ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 08:53:39 PM »
strange though isn't it ? wheres the period - 1968 - write ups , hardly surprising that this was not a successful venture , and what exactly is the Bermuda link - surely a little odd . was this the original idea or only because there was no uk interest .

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 09:16:59 PM »
I do not know much about Carr brothers, but like the crackers with cheese. To take the step of marketing branded products was a bold choice. The Tourette was pretty early on the scene at 1954. The scooters I have never come across trading, always a Progress was a badged Strolch with Sachs power, 175cc normally. So despite the efforts it seems sales were hard to find.
We will avoid where the idea for the Tourette came from but it is early for GRP again. Perhaps there was other production at the premises like accessories for vehicles. Its all a story that seems little known about.

The Mink is a decade later and really little further advanced than by dint of raiding someone else's parts bin for expensive gubbins as did Carr brothers. The body on this car is extremely fragile and it has had minimal driving use by Mike and Wynn as it is such a delicate car. Very surprised its for sale actually. However the quest to collect all things Fritz Fend/FMR is an expensive one, and requires space, so I assume that is the reason.

Well the scooter panels were all Fiberglass so I don't know which came first but I assume the scooter did.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:54:14 PM by richard »