Author Topic: Mink  (Read 23527 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Mink
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 10:42:46 PM »
With some squinting I can just make out, Britannia 200cc, Briton, 200cc and Anglian 150cc.  The Tourette drawing looks like its been done by a child!  Note it says "ALL BRITISH"   [accept for the front wheel hubs!]  Thanks Richard
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:46:08 PM by Bob Purton »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 12:29:01 AM »
strange though isn't it ? wheres the period - 1968 - write ups , hardly surprising that this was not a successful venture , and what exactly is the Bermuda link - surely a little odd . was this the original idea or only because there was no uk interest .

I don't know if the RUMCAR archive has anything further, but I've not come across anything in print before 1983. One reason it might have been still born was that other sources appear to indicate that Bermudian legislators wouldn't allow motorized three-wheelers onto their roads before 1971, which would seem to have been a serious flaw in the research of whoever was developing the Mink. But I always thought Bermuda sounded a peculiarly narrow market for a car project made in another country regardless.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
In the dim and distant past research into the Ladybird, by Mick Leeson, yielded information of an island economy and Hotel that was looking for a cheap, lightweight, vehicle to use for shuttling tourists/customers/locals who wanted one, around. It is so near the Bermuda story that it is possibly the same. Thus we have the intriguing prospect of two competing designs working to a brief. Depends what you want to believe, but I happen to favour the fact that there was more than one 'Ladybird'.
In the event it would appear that the Fiat Jolly was ordered by the Hotel part of the deal, probably because the civil end only talked and economic reality meant the business had to invest. Strangely I have a Fiat Jolly Gardinera which was ordered by a Caribbean Hotel. One of some 100 made in two orders of differing specification and now only 5 are thought to remain.

The Mink is a prototype. As such it suffers from some degree of parts bin assembly and necessity over styling. It is what it is and not what it could be.
No great write up as it was not for the British market. Need to research the Burmuda Bugle, or whatever.
Numberplate light, I have a feeling it is under the lip. Though the legal frame of an island nation might not call for one, and in the UK it might have taken advantage of a daylight MOT. After all who, but a lady, would be seen out at night wearing a Mink?

Carr brother look as if they were into extras. Also I assume we are looking at blobby jobby Scooters in GRP. That will be why they did not sell. The Italians and Germans supplied well fitting steel panels, with added styling in some cases. Why would you buy something made of plastic that looked like a dustbin, drummed and fell off as it was not rigid?
I still feel if Scootacar had taken the trouble to style their car, a synche as all gubbins is on the platform that matters, they would have sold a darn site more of them. Some nice colours might have helped too. Who wants a car that has the surface, styling and colour of a bogey or clart? Of course now it makes the car interesting, but a missed opportunity, I think.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 10:42:04 AM »
Wasn't this also the idea behind the Nobel sporty? Holiday/hotel work?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 10:52:48 AM »
Indeed we are told so. It is an oft repeated niche and some firms made a good stab at turning it to profitable use. Fiat/Ghia for one, but also golf cart/buggy manufacturers, to some extent Argo. Now there are a plethora of low range gadabouts which represent a new area of collection for those with the bravery and foresight to buy up the bargains as they come up. They will replace the French Fridges as the lower rung of small car activity - see early FunTech. I am giving this a pass myself.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 07:14:14 PM »
An interesting and drifting topic as we sometimes get. This one has got more and more like that brilliant Two Ronnies sketch - youtube it - Mastermind topic " answering the question before last ! "  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 07:48:57 PM »
It is Richard but we like it this way! Now every time you pull us up on being off topic and for spelling mistakes its like an invite to do it again! ;)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 07:58:12 PM »
Yes I know that bob , I gave up on the spellings  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »
And capitals, I'll get my coat.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »
Should that not be:-

I gave up on spellings. ;) or does the smiley count as a full stop?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »
Point(.) well made Barry.
It is now obvious that the perpetrator is due for forty lashes.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 08:41:02 AM »
From Jessica Rabbit :o or the Siba cat-o-nine tails developed from the dynostart by a Naval man putting it together wrong ::). Well he enjoyed it :P.