Author Topic: Convertible Goggo Coupe?  (Read 2180 times)

blob

• Prolific Poster
Convertible Goggo Coupe?
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »
What's the verdict, another claim to a convertible Goggo on eBay or is it just another chop the roof job?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/goggomobil-convertable-coupe-/321319133827?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item4ad01ce283&_uhb=1

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Convertible Goggo Coupe?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »
This is a fiberglas Aussie model.  It is not one of the original Factory built seven. (of which two are known to exist)

Chopping tops is commonplace on a number of these. They look good with the top off, unlike some other micros.
We should have a thread just for bastardized "cabrios". 

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Convertible Goggo Coupe?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:08:19 AM »
The GRP version is not quite as neat as the virtually hand made steel cars. It was an obvious option for Buckle to offer but immediately rather eclipsed by the Dart. I have always rather fancied a DHC as it is really about the best Microcar for me, having that little extra area at the rear for a dog nest. The Goggo being, in my opinion, the Bentley of Bubblecars.

Yonks ago I nearly traded one but the guy thought I was joking and flogged the car for less locally. He was thoroughly miffed when I paid an excessive £200 for a Dart in similar condition! How prices change. This similar condition car is about £5,600 starting price. So a job to restore for £12,000 in Britain. Is it worth it? Perhaps as you compare with Autobianchi and such and they command at least as much sorted out. Vespa 400 really do offer good value.

The advantage of this car is it should have the correctly modified floor conspicuously missing from most fakes. Restore it, rather than a swap, and all will be well. If not, good luck with that option. Very tempting.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs