Author Topic: Heinkel or Isetta?  (Read 15321 times)

Savvygaby

• Just Starting
Heinkel or Isetta?
« on: June 05, 2014, 04:04:31 PM »
Hey guys maybe someone can help me I'm looking for a left hand drive heinkel for sale. Just because I don't know is a heinkel a better car them the Isetta ? Either way in looking to buy one. Tks
Regards
Gabriel.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Heinkel or Isetta?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »
you've missed the boat my friend . big al , he of als unusual auto's , gives us the tip that car to have is now the  Mk12 or Type 70
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Savvygaby

• Just Starting
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 05:35:11 AM »
U know anyone selling a Messerschmitt ?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 06:58:31 AM »
 How peep is your docket?   :D :D :D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:32:06 AM by Barry »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 08:26:50 AM »
How strong is a piece of ling?  8) :o ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:39:17 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:20:43 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you can guess by the response to both your requests so far that it is unlikely any one here is going to give you any leads on this. The cars are rare now and we are all looking for the same things!
All you can do is keep an eye out in the motoring mags, ebay etc and don't expect any bargains, prices are through the roof and as I said we are all chasing the same stuff.
Rumcars is really for the rare cars that don't have a one make club to help them. You could join the Isetta owners club' Heinkel Trojan club and the Messerschmitt owners club which may increase your chances of finding something but maybe not.  If you are serious you will turn something up eventually.

Here is someone selling a Messerschmitt.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Messerschmitt-KR200-Just-recommissioned-with-MOT-/331185642729?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4d1c33dce9
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:25:54 AM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 10:15:05 AM »
Why are we all chasing more Isetta, Trienkels and Messerschmitts when we have them already, or at least some of them? I am not saying this is wrong, but if you take a step back it does look like a bit of a closed shop with those in the know collecting ever more cars. The newbie is at a real disadvantage and so many get steered into buying lemons. Perhaps we club together as a club is an ancient weapon to keep strangers off.

I am getting to the point of having 2 hours on the PC a day aiding folk building, or looking for cars, who no one else will help. This include IC with the ICR off line and not really enguaging with some folk. It has been suggested I start my own forum, but that is open to the nay sayers, so unappealing, also its harder to choose who to help, as not all are the right sort of person for me. It can be enjoyable and its better than a TV license.
Finding good cars is very difficult now. There are many botched cars out there looking for big bunts, and I have been reasonably successfully in steering folk who take advice away from them. More so than finding them good cars to buy! Those that have bought iffy cars are finding quite the most horrendous restoration work that you wonder Al Queda might be implicated in a fatwa against new Microcar owners! They have little recourse or recompense for their trusting nature as buyers. I am more than glad I was a proper trader when I was buying and selling as I sleep well nights.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »
There are Isetta's, Heinkels and schmitts currently available for sale right now for all to see so I assume the newby is looking for a bargain.  As it happens I personally am looking for a Heinkel and Schmitt.  I know we may not all be actively looking for more cars to add to our collections but I'm pretty sure most of us wouldn't turn away a bargain.  I wouldn't anyway.
All I'm saying is don't expect much response.

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »
I would advertise in your local papers a friend of mine bought an Isetta after advertising 18 months ago, for 1200 pounds it was rough but he has sorted it
I would just make sure it is complete. Vehicles with missing parts are difficult to finish as usually the parts missing are the rare and expensive bits

As Bob says join a club and go and talk to as many people as you can they will help with advice on what to avoid especially if its your first car
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »
But you had a Schmitt, Bob. (Let me look, Ah yes, just under Dilks as a person of ill repute on The List from the chapel. Not as bad as selling a Tiger and saying they are crap but Valentines day is not down here for a card! The charge is willful flogging of a fend - Dilks is above you for tying a stuffed chicken on his car. This is NOT funny)

Yes we all want a bargain car. In most cases because we know we can flip it if we do not want it. So its obvious that most bargains spotted in the open get snapped up. The next rank of cars are the all to attractive crappers that have been tidied up but are in some way wrong. It is easy to fall for one of these, as I have said.
Indeed the best thing is to put yourself about a bit but even that does not always work as some have not the skill, the will or aura that will persuade folk to open up on whats available, what to look for and why certain models are avoided. This little buddy is actually putting himself about a bit, so this is one site he has interrogated. Nil Point so far. Though admittedly LHD Isettas are not very odd ball from a RUM point of view.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 06:53:46 PM »
There was a load of unrestored schmitts up for sale at the weekend. Don't know if any were bargains though.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21749/
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 09:01:28 PM »
I know Al. I regret everything I sell! Still my susceptibility to vertigo remains so I could probably still not drive it.  Its just that I have always fancied building a Schmitt sport from spare parts. Don't suppose I will ever do it now. You missed off Terry Parkin from the list of heretics, he bought a Schmitt from yourself, drove it once around the block, absolutely hated it, sold it on fast and stuck with his faithful Isetta. I don't think he stuck a chicken on the back though.
If evil is scored by how many schmitts you have sold you must be a very very naughty boy indeed!  ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 09:14:24 AM »
I am. Not allowed near the Chapel even though its jolly nearly on my route to the Bretforton Clubnight. If I chance to deviate the street lights start to flicker. My BX broke down near there. 'Tis a place of ill omen, I fear. Tales of groups of men seen wearing white sheets with Regansburg Eagle hats. Michael Ripper impersonators die horrible deaths! Well a stubbed toe, perhaps.

Ah, the two tone grey car. He particularly liked my patented rubber band festoon holder repair, as I recall. That was a very long time ago now. It is interesting but there are folk who really do not get on with Schmitts at all. Peter Jones is another.

If you were at Bonhams at the weekend you might have bought a Schmitt project for around £2,500. On the other hand my old KR175 was £26,000. Pity for the buyer that most of that ID is still in my shed. I never had the chassis and the number was claimed out of my ownership. So a kipper car it is, and I think too much money. What I have of the car and from elsewhere looks a better deal. I would have gone to a bid of £8,345 to have it back and could have created two much more accurate cars. I also own about a fifth of the other good KR175 we have floating about, ex Tony Marshall, kew Stuarts favourite photograph.......
Incidentally the Tiger sold, not sure on the exact price but over £50,000. It was known to require a pair of new barrels as the ones on it were on worn max bore. A bargain if you had a spare set of barrels then. I wonder who has Russ's original Super Replica? Tempting but what would I do with it?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »
Yes I heard that Schmitt prices had fallen out of bed at the weekend. Makes me feel slightly better about murdering mine out too cheaply! Sounds like the 175 was a freak result. How much of the 2.5k schmitt was there?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »
I did not attend, though it sounded like it could have been a bigger attendance than that at Kettering next month, on a date I do not know. Once it was clear a chum would outbid me on the 175 there seemed little point in turning up but to meet all the guys. As it happened I got involved in some varnishing that reacted badly to the prior coat, so had my hands full of flooring.

I can only comment that on what one could see from the catalogue the bitsa cars were probably incomplete, possibly mixed up and had a desirability factor of 3 out of 10 due to poor presentation. I suspect I could have doubled the price just by making them look like cars! Trouble is then you see what is not there of course. I would have thought all in, at home, a price of £5k would have been reasonable, but it sounds like they were cheaper. Then again they could have been worse than I thought. Good luck to who bought them, would not be surprised if most did not go to one buyer.

It seems quite a few other bigger cars did not do to well. But I was told that many were ill written up, had changes of chassis numbers etc on sale day and exhibited some poorly executed restoration work or damage. So much the same result as last years Blenhiem auction and shows the frailty of the home market, poor presentation by the auction house and lack of appeal in tatty or incomplete restorations. In an investors market no great surprise.