Author Topic: stainless screws  (Read 2514 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
stainless screws
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »
Surely all of you have used stainless stuff a lot . just had a small parcel of , in my case , decorative screws . They came with the reminder " NOTE :- Stainless steel bolts should not be used in strength critical allocations (steering,brakes,suspension etc)" also the reminder that " it is good engineering practice to put a lubricant on stainless steel threads when fitting " - why is this and do we all do these things ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:56:47 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: stainless screws
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »
I am no expert on stainless steel, but from what I know there are different grades of stainless steel, and many of them work harden, due to heat and/or "work". It could be that as some types harden they might also become brittle and fracture, whereas high tensile bolts tend to remain more stable re hardness and mechanical properties.

That said, I always thought that stainless steel were good for such use as mentioned, unless authenticity was required!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »
Again, I'm no engineer but the long and the short of it is that it is possible to make a much stronger nut and bolt in carbon steel than is possible in stainless and stainless nuts and bolts are more prone to seizing, so if you plan on undoing them regularly or are using large sizes, you'll make life a lot easier for yourself if you use copper grease where possible. There are different grades of stainless steel fasteners available and anything that is vaguely strength critical go for the highest grade you can find. Most high strength bolt's from the 1950s are marked on the head.

Authenticity is fine as far as it goes, but unless you've got very deep pockets or are a talented machinist, progress on any restoration is going to be very slow indeed if you wish to source the correct strength bolt with the correct design head, length and finish in an imperial size.

Lots of interesting stuff on this site
http://www.boltscience.com/index.htm

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Screws/Strength.htm
http://www.qldcorvetteclub.com.au/tech/tech_talk/bolts.htm
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:56:33 PM by Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker) »
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »
The advice I was given when I started restoring cars/bikes was if it is load bearing, use high tensile 8.8 .

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:51:21 AM »
Normal Stainless Steel is brittle. Anyone who has had a stainless steel exhaust under mounting load will know that. It is a different material to steel and why it sounds different as an exhaust, normally noisier.
SS is in alloy so can be biased to suit certain tasks. You need to specify the task.

Fastners come in a range of specifications. I prefer to remain loyal to the original design unless its proved poor. Generally these people had better information than I do on specs needed. Its a pity that some spec fastners are not shiny or pretty but if you want prizes then you have the choice of putting the integrity of your machine into question. As a passing comment - insurance question
'Has your car been modified in any way?'
'Yes I decided that the original engineers used boring fastners so I changed them for some nice cheap shiny ones.'
How many folk return that to their insurer. Bit nasty when something falls off and causes an accident.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:30 AM »
Yes, agree with Al, A2-70 which all the usual fasteners are made from will snap under stress where as high tensile steel would bend rather than snap.   A2-80 is closer to 8.8 high tensile steel but why take a chance?