Author Topic: Elswick Envoy  (Read 3314 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Elswick Envoy
« on: April 28, 2007, 10:03:58 AM »
Some of you will have seen the Ellswick Envoy on ebay 200101939020, not strictly a microcar but certainly a disabled persons vehicle. Worth a look.

Chris Thomas

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
Re: Elswick Envoy
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 02:35:38 PM »
A468 XOA used to be mine!  This is the car that Alan Budd spotted by the roadside in Chichester and mentioned it in his Petite Activity page in RUMCar News.  I read the article after downing a couple of pints, rang him and ended up with it, fully intending to get it back on the road.

I played with it for ages but I am ashamed to admit that it got the better of me.  I understand what the seller means about "erratic tickover" - it runs when it bloody well feels like it!  Don't you just love eBay-speak?  "The rear subframe will need attention" is one way of saying "It's absolutely buggered and will cost an arm and a leg to fix - just ask Chris Thomas!"

I sold it to the guy who used to build Scamp kit cars based on the old Mini until he diversified into Suzuki SJ-based kits and even he was worried about the subframe when he saw it.

It's a fascinating vehicle but could be a bit of a money pit!

Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 12:21:11 PM »
Dear Nick D

I do not need to ask Chris Thomas. I am Chris Thomas.

I have a friend who is disabled who wants am Elswick and hopes to get this one. I have passed on your comments to him. I know Andrew at Scamp as at one time he had and sold the prototype GRP mouldings for the Microdot. Also at one time I was tempted to build a scamp but baught a Hustler instead. His workshop at Rofant is very remshackle.

Lets hope ithe Elswick goes to a good home and can be saved.

Chris Thomas

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 08:17:43 PM »
Hi Chris

I knew it was you all along!  Let's hope that this Elswick finds a good home with your friend.  I'm a great fan of William Towns' creations and hope to see your Hustler one day.  A Mini Scamp, a very ratty-looking one it must be said, used to be parked up in Dover on a piece of waste land near my home and I made enquiries about buying it if it came on the market but it's gone, presumably sold on.

We survived the earthquake and you'll all be pleased to hear that no microcars or cyclemotors were damaged in the incident!

Regards
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 09:18:43 PM »
That's what you get for running the Liger without a silencer. The soundwaves were too much for the earth's core and triggered off an earthquake!  Gord 'elp us all at School House Farm on 29th July when the Liger gets together with the Comtesse's.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES. IT's GONNA BLOW.....   :o :o :o :o

;D