General Category > RUMCar Mart

BMW 700

(1/3) > >>

Mr Rhubarb:
Hi Guys, new to this forum but have been recommended to RUM as I have a 1964 BMW 700 mechanically and bodily restored just needs the interior completing for which I have all the necessary parts to complete except for the carpet and possibly door rubbers which can be purchased from Woollies Trim.  Just wondered if anyone can advise me of the best place to advertise it as you probably know this is a very rare and unusual BMW that during the 50s/60s saved BMW from collapsing and possibly being taken over by Mercedees.

Bob Purton:
I thought it was the Isetta that saved the company although BMW would never admit that..

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker):
You're wrong Bob. The Isetta was bought in to fill a niche which as we all know wasn't really there. The company had the Isetta and a range of luxury cars that weren't selling and nothing inbetween and was losing money hand over fist. The 700 was a hit from the start and sold more in 5 years (188,000+) than the Isetta managed in 7 (161,000). I'd guess BMW probably made more money on each 700 they sold as well.

Bob Purton:
I must have been misinformed by over zealous Isetta enthusiasts.
Thinking back to my youth though, Isetta's were everywhere but I had never seen a 700 until getting into microcars decades later. Is it a case of them not selling well in Britain but doing well elsewhere?

Bob Purton:
Just found the answer to my own question.  "Although the 700 was popular with the British motoring press, it was always going to be rare here. Today, surviving UK 700s barely make it into double figures."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version