Author Topic: Vespacar  (Read 6790 times)

skootashaun

• Chatty
yup yup rabbit yup yup yup rabbit rabbit bunny jabber yup rabbit bunny yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup bunny jabber rabbit

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Vespacar
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 06:46:04 AM »
Presumably SCOTACAR in the description so it will turn up in searches - but it won't will it
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:54:37 AM »
Not without a kilt, I fear.

Does this mean a free drunk Glaswegian instead of a Sat Nav?  The bruised way to find an unkown address! Boffomatic's Scot-a-car.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Well as there is a whole era of post 65 microcars that you have chosen to ignore Richard a Scotacar could be a fine microcar built in Scotland that has completely slipped under your radar! :D :D

The Vespacar is something I've never been privileged enough to have driven or even ridden in but by all account is reported as being one of the best. Even Chris Thomas was impressed which begs the question, is this the microcar Chris is saving up for ?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »
Would this be post '65 ? Advertised as 59/60 - but aren't  they all nowadays  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »
Yep, its the same when you look under antique instruments, its full of repro.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »
The Vespacar is something I've never been privileged enough to have driven or even ridden in but by all account is reported as being one of the best. Even Chris Thomas was impressed which begs the question, is this the microcar Chris is saving up for ?

They are as good as a Goggo. Different and with failings and bonuses. The roll top roof is great. I also feel it is an elegant car, more so than the Goggo Saloon. An excellent choice of car if that is the motoring your looking for.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »
I have owned neither Goggo or Vaspa but if I were to choose one on looks only it would be the Vespa by a long chalk. I have never liked the styling of the  Goggo saloon but love the coupe. Wouldn't know about the mechanicals but the goggo engines do always sound so refined! I dont even know what motor the Vespacar uses, I assume it IS a Vespa motor?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
Not technically up on the Vespa unit. It certainly goes well enough when in good order. I believe it is Vespa. Quite a few examples have been oiled incorrectly despite the fitting of an oiling measure as standard It seems folk miss understood this device or just plain ignored it! One downside is that it has only three speeds.
The Goggo is pretty much a twin Ilo engine, which was then developed a little. It has much in common with the other German two strokes of the time and is pretty detuned. Its real advantage is the gearbox is nice, big and chunky - just like the Sachs isn't. It works well and very rarely gives probs coming complete with a full diff unit. John Bannell found the only real weakness was the quality and tolerances of the clutch assembly. He therefore created a modified set for his fuel injected Coupe. If its good enough for John then its good enough for me. The Goggo always sounds and goes better on a dual exhaust system, not easy to obtain. They then sound a little like a Tiger but without the whistle from the dynostart mounted fans.
My feeling is that the Goggos worst element is the swing axle rear suspension. This limits its cornering speed in exactly the same way as Mk 1 Spitfires were terrifying. Up to a point radial tyres make things better but then 5.20 by 10  do not fit straight on. Some modification is needed. However the radials extra grip and softer construction takes more power to push. Being a looney I chose cornering for belting round lanes. None the less over a certain limit the handling is, eer, unpredictable. John dispensed with swing arms in favour of 126 rear suspension tailing wishbones and double jointed drive shafts - an off the shelf part. I have not had experience of this modification but I would expect the power to be able to be put on much earlier in a corner and a skid to be very much more predictable. Thus overall speed would be greatly enhanced and economy improved unless pressing on.
Looking at the Dart it is clear that the fastest way of driving it is the old fashioned Finnish flick and then a power slide round the corner as in 50's sports car racing. Not greatly received on the public roads as an acceptable way of attempting to break the speed limits! So for all its looks the Dart is handicapped by the swing arms unless your on private roads.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »
Hmmm, I dont think how fast you can throw a vintage microcar into a corner is a concern of most micronauts these days.  I wont be trying it this SAturday on the Boston run unless we are chasing Andy Carter, last year we managed to run over his hat but didnt catch him in his 850cc Kliensniggera! [before head master Warren picks me up on the spelling, I did it on purpose!]  A great car by the way!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:05:59 PM by Bob Purton »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
850cc....................Should be in the off-topic lounge Bob!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »
The headmaster is not on line today so I think I got away with that as well! ;)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »
i saw it hours ago  :) but did not rise to it  :) you deserve 50 lines purton

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »
Hmmm, I dont think how fast you can throw a vintage microcar into a corner is a concern of most micronauts these days.  I wont be trying it this SAturday on the Boston run unless we are chasing Andy Carter, last year we managed to run over his hat but didnt catch him in his 850cc Kliensniggera! [before head master Warren picks me up on the spelling, I did it on purpose!]  A great car by the way!

Isn't that a Grosschnittger? Not sure what the car would be called.....