Author Topic: Schmitt Tiger  (Read 12427 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Schmitt Tiger
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 12:47:36 AM »
Suprised Ebay still allows such dubious auction practices as setting a staggeringly high reserve to test the market,  just to get an idea of how much people might be prepared to pay. For a $7.00 listing fee the "Seller" now has a list of several bidders who are keenly interested in his car - even if they dropped out long before the "auction" reached half the end figure.

I love TGs,  but I hate the way Ebay "values" for things that don't sell are held up to be representative of anything.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 02:34:54 AM »
I love TGs,  but I hate the way Ebay "values" for things that don't sell are held up to be representative of anything.

excellent point.

despite having pointed this out to people again and again, I have found that people perceive that ANY price that a car reaches even if it DOES NOT meet reserve means that the car was "worth" that and people were willing to actually pay that price.

They do not take into account shilling bidding or the people that like to play "guess the reserve" and just assume the value is whatever the highest number is.

I was just at a meet this weekend and 2 people were talking about the yellow Tg on German eBay that went up to $148,000 reserve not met (sorry for the amount in dollars...).
They seemed a bit distracted when I tried to explain to them that the numbers meant nothing.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 08:53:23 AM »
Beautiful! My top favourite car of all.
 I will have to write to the Lottery and ask them to fix it for me. When I do win the lottery (my chances might increase if I ENTERED the lottery!) I will have a Tiger, a Heinkel/Trojan and a Morgan Matchless MX3.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »

excellent point.

despite having pointed this out to people again and again, I have found that people perceive that ANY price that a car reaches even if it DOES NOT meet reserve means that the car was "worth" that and people were willing to actually pay that price.

They do not take into account shilling bidding or the people that like to play "guess the reserve" and just assume the value is whatever the highest number is.

I was just at a meet this weekend and 2 people were talking about the yellow Tg on German eBay that went up to $148,000 reserve not met (sorry for the amount in dollars...).
They seemed a bit distracted when I tried to explain to them that the numbers meant nothing.

Prices of TG's are banded about as nearly 6 figures sterling or euro.  This thing is a superb example for people who value originality.  Easy to recommision. 

Pretty firm indicator of what a TG's worth TODAY.   The world has voted with their wallets...
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 10:04:39 AM »
I'm with Rusty chrome and Jim on this one. No ones wallet has opened, neither of the cars sighted have been sold, ebay is a tool easily manipulated.   

barchetta

• Chatty
  • ready for a road run summer 2006
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »
Yes its an easy way to drive prices up,,,,,an owner of a similar car or a dealer who knows the ebay seller will rattle up the bids      ( keeping below the excessive reserve ) and all the watchers will think that thats the value of the car.....

Another devious trick to find the reserve,,, maybe of a genuine selling car,,,is to overbid by 'mistakingly' adding an extra zero or two to reveal the reserve ,and then removing the bid. However before the bid is removed you can see the reserve price ..... just been done to my pal selling a classic bike.....
Fiat 500L ,Motobecane 40T & 51V ,Victoria Vicky 117,Trojan Mini-motor,, Honda p50 ,PC50 and NF75, BSA Bantam D10,Raleigh Wisp,Raleigh RM4 ,Garelli Katia and Eurika,

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »
I know all of that about ebay, but that is not the fault of the car itself. The seller of this one posted 2 days ago that he had lowered his reserve (Ok perhaps by only a token amount!) and the final bid of $91,100 went up the day before the end. If I had a TG I would only sell it in desperation or for what it is worth to ME to loose it, regardless of the actual market value.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 11:04:55 AM »
So Marcus, if you had a TG that was worth say 60K but it was only worth 30 to you or you only needed 30 you would accept that for it? Are you sure?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
What I mean is that unless I was really desperate to sell it, I would only sell for the theoretical market value + a huge extra wallop of dosh to compensate me for not having it anymore! In other words a buyer would have to pay MY price!
Obviously my lottery win will have to be sufficient to buy a nice one, and I will set up a Trust to ensure that it is always kept in tip top condition, ready for use at any time, so that if I am too busy to do running maintenance "My Man" and a fully-equipped garage will always be on hand. The same will apply to my Heinkel / Trojan, Morgan, and possibly a Rovin and Scammell Scarab as well. In fact I'd better have 2 of each, so there is always one available.
Not asking much am I?!

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »
That TG was bid to 55k sterling.  So today it is worth no more or less.  However perhaps tomorrow by private treaty a deal will probably be struck maybe in excess of that.

Depends if the seller wants to accept the pice. Ebay reserves are a waste of time.  Either list without pound from the ground if you have balls or start at your min price.

But Marcus,  putting a middling car up for sale for the market value then sticking loads on top is utterly laughable.  It won't obviously sell. 
-Benvenuto Cellini

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »
I wonder if we find out who buys it and for how much.
People have often asked me how much my Trojan is worth, I told them an approximate current value, and they then offered me that, on the spot. I politely said that they would have to give me quite a lot more than what it is worth for me to part with it, and that would be my policy if I had a TG...what it is "worth" and what I would sell it for (except in desperation) are very different!

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 01:56:02 PM »
When people ask what my bangers are worth on the mean streets of Londinistan I reply...

"How much is a cup of water worth to a man dying of thirst in the dessert?"

Then they leave me alone..
-Benvenuto Cellini

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »
Nice, I might use that one!
One fellow once offered an immediate swap,on the spot, for his brand new Toyota Pervia. No.
I could have done the swap, sold the Pervia, bought another Trojan in similar or better condition and had a reasonable profit, but I preferred to save myself the hassle.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »
 Personally I always feel most insulted whenever someone comes up & wants to buy any of my vehicles like that. (yes folks, it's happened with everything I've ever had, be it conveyance or "normal", unbeliveable as it may sound)

In every single case, its always the same old story. They didn't want one untill the very moment they saw the attention my vehicle was getting. They didn't even know such a vehicle existied untill the very moment they saw the attention my vehicle was getting...  They are not enthusiasts nor intrested in the vehicle itself. The only thing they want is the attention & accolade that they think the vehicle will waft unto them & they seem to think pound notes is the way to get it.  Well not with me or mine it isn't, Then as now my personal feelings towards those types, has always been "bugger off & find one for yourself, like I had to..."
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:13:58 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »
I know what you mean Stuart, but I feel you cannot blame those people for not knowing about micros. Most people either have only vague memories, or they have heard from "bloke in the pub" that they have no merit. Indeed my neighbour thought I was nuts to be interested in bubbles and micros, until some Ray and Jenny Dilks in their yellow and grey Heinkel, and Peter Jones in his yellow Trojan turned up in our yard for the London-Edinburgh run. Later that evening Mike Shepherd heroically arrived in his green Goggomobil with a spare float chamber top, as Peter's had fallen off. My neighbour saw these cars in the flesh for the first time and his scorn instantly turned to outright enthusiasm.
I actually think that is part of the fun of having a very unusual car, and when people suddenly see them and get interested I think that is a good thing. Most of us into these things are middle-aged, and we have to get new and young people interested in owning, restoring and using these characterful jalopies, and joining the clubs, and buying their spare parts and merchandise because that will keep it possible for them to be used.
I agree it can be irritating, but just remember you are converting the heathen hordes! Take pride in being interested in obscure things! And when the heathenhordes see these wonders, be flattered at the fact that (at last) they see that you DO have an interesting machine DESPITE what "bloke in the pub" told them!
It's all part of the fun, even when the hordes are a bit irritating!