Author Topic: Lost or stolen property from the National Rally  (Read 7435 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Lost or stolen property from the National Rally
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:31:04 AM »
  A model Boat and a rubber floor mat.

One would like to believe these items are misplaced but I had a rather crestfallen Stuart round here yesterday returning from searching the bins and ditch of the Calne National Rally site for his blue and white Peel toy powerboat moulding. Jeff Ellis confirmed that he had not found it on clearing the site at the end of the day but you have to check the chance someone else discarded it. That done it suggests it has left the venue with someone in the chaotic packing at the end of the day.
  It turns out a rubber car mat has been lost from roughly the same area, behind a Frisky I believe. The boat was placed on the grass next to one of the Friskys during the removal and loading of the Peels and so far not seen again. My fear is that someone has targeted the boat, placed it in the mat and rolled it up and made his exit carrying a nondescript bit of material. That suggests a thief in the active arena and I cannot see a none micro person bothering with what otherwise looks a pretty valueless item. An unpleasant thought indeed and I trust I am wrong. The fact remains as I write these two items are missing. Be great to find them or, more disturbingly, hear of anything else gone missing.

I have to say theft was one of the reasons I stopped having my autojumble stands at Microcar events. That was over 10 years ago now as I had my last stand at Toddington I think and the problem began 2 years earlier. Never a problem before that as the old Micronauts were a great and trustworthy bunch. I caught two culprits but how to prove it against their denials? Impossible, so I am afraid I used my bulk to persuade them to avoid me in future which worked for me. However the stand was still targeted. I know G.O.G.G.O. has suffered at differing events over the years. Dave Tadman too. Hence my negative vibes on the above losses.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Lost or stolen property from the National Rally
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 02:10:53 PM »
I fear you are most likely right Al. Its a sad world where a group of like minded enthusiasts cannot get together to enjoy there hobby without a common thief spoiling it!  >:( >:(    I hope it turns up for Stuart but I fear the worst. Jean also had some books stolen a couple of year ago at the open day which is attended by very few people compared to the national. I think Stuart should post some pictures of the hull on here so if any of us spot it anywhere we can grab it back for him.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 02:32:09 PM »
A 'wanted' or 'stolen' advert on eBay could work. 
I often see the victims of thefts posting an advert on eBay to make as many people as possible aware and on the look-out.

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:27:37 PM »
I think we may be jumping to conclusions here. It could be that some one saw the boat and the mat on the grass in an empty field (except for three Friskys)and made it safe so it could be returned to its owner, when identified. A question that could be asked is who took it out of the car it was displayed in, put it on the grass and just walked off and left it?

No doubt Stuart will let us know when it is back with him

John Meadows

stiffy

• Just Starting
    • bondbugfiles
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:02:32 AM »
  I seem to recall seeing it when i was removing the plastic posts after the prize giving.

It seems a rather strange item to pinch unless you knew what it was- In which case it makes the "theft" even more unpalitable.  :'(

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:49:59 AM »
As I said lets stop jumping to conclusions.
The boat and mat were found by Malcolm Thomas lying on the grass in an empty field
He picked them up to make them safe and reported what he had done to the organisers (GrenvilleTaylor) saying he would look after them untill they could be returned to their owner.
I told Stuart this a couple of days ago and he will contact Malcolm.

Sorry chaps no  "robbers" here just an honest bloke doing the right thing

John Meadows

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
Good to hear it's all ok!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »
Hurrah!

Indeed good news and confirms that the traditional Micronauts are the right stuff as I said. Jumping to conclusions? I prefer overstating the case to get peoples attention. Only pro-active action recovers stolen goods as I proved to myself over my Schmitt. A bit like selling in you can always drop a price but you cannot put it up, you can drop the anti but cannot really raise it long after the event. A week without a lost item, Unknown due to a set of circumstances, gives one cause for concern. I fear John Dobb has not got his Isetta and BMW 600 back but to far away to take a hand in that to help a slightly shocked owner not used to such things. That is what a mate is for.
Still in this instance no thief or thefts so that can only be a good thing for everyone. No negative vibes for next years event which is important. The bush telegraph has performed and the drums beat success by return. Also a cause for joy as it means it is worth being part this loose assembly of like minded looneys. I wonder who's the mat is?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »

Indeed good news and confirms that the traditional Micronauts are the right stuff as I said.

As they ever were, are & will be.  :)

I've just had it confirmed in the past few minutes that Malcolm Thomas does indeed have the boat safe & sound which at this very moment is enjoying a busman's holiday going round & round on his duck pond.  ;D  It was exacly as we thought, the boat was spotted sitting around in the open with nobody on guard & so was taken into safe storage as lost property rather than taken full stop. Right from when it first turned out to be not where it was meant to be, my reaction was always "Somebody's obviously picked it up for safe storage" rather than "EEEK, some ****** nicked it!", and lo & behold, I was right.  :)   So, no witch hunt required, for it was never nicked in the first place, and the micro world is still a safe place for Peel's to sleep in.....  ;)  I've never locked a car yet on the field & have no cause to start now.

Thanks to everyone involved for locating it so quickly.   :-*  It'll be back on show in due course

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:40:20 AM by Stuart Cyphus »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:08:51 PM »
It was nice of Malcolm to quickly remodel and modernise it a bit for you.  Saves you the bother Stuart.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 12:28:23 PM »
Good news indeed! What a relief. Has a mould been taken though?  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
Silly question really Bob,  Andy had the boat on display along with his P50s and Trident.  Taking a mould this size does not take long.  Fully expect an original reproduction will be available by now  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:17:14 PM by scootacar »

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 01:21:48 PM »
Lord Cyphus is a very very lucky man.

I'm heartend to hear a happy ending in this case is the conclusion.

I feared it would have drifted into the ether a la Raphael's Portrait of a Young man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait_of_a_Young_Man_(Raphael,_formerly_Krak%C3%B3w)

But no, it is not going to some Swiss Vault for infinity!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:53:36 PM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »
Great to get you Peel back again Stuart.

Now, is there going to be a micro-boat line up at next years National ?
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
Lord Cyphus is a very very lucky man.

I'm heartend to hear a happy ending in this case is the conclusion.

I feared it would have drifted into the ether a la Raphael's Portrait of a Young man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait_of_a_Young_Man_(Raphael,_formerly_Krak%C3%B3w)

But no, it is not going to some Swiss Vault for infinity!

Just as well  there were no Nazi's at the rally then!
The Portrait in question even looks a little like Stuart!