Author Topic: Scammell Scarab truck  (Read 6146 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Scammell Scarab truck
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:28:48 am »
I was looking on-line for photos of Bricklayers Arms railway depot near me, and stumbled across www.bermondseyboy.net where I spotted this evocative old photo of a Scammell Scarab truck. Not a micro car, but arguably a micro truck! These used to be a familiar sight around stations and depots, and beetling along the roads. Cab and trailer could turn in their own length like a Bond. Lovely! The site has lots of good photos of the depot and locos.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

marcus

• Prolific Poster
Re: Scammell Scarab truck
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:07:48 am »
Some footage of a Scarab (and other nice old trucks and buses) at a rally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=7knuXu-CTCM&feature=endscreen

I cannot help thinking that a similar modern version of a Scarab "ferry" truck could be useful today if companies were less committed to the concept of using big artics for everything.

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:54:46 pm »
Nice pic of this British Railways Scarab. I hadn't seen it before. It looks like the windscreen has been opened for some fresh air.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 11:04:34 pm »
Yes, very nice pics of this British Railways . I really do like these old english vehicles. They are always beautiful to look !

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:30:11 am »
Nice pic of this British Railways Scarab. I hadn't seen it before. It looks like the windscreen has been opened for some fresh air.

I did not know that the windows opened. Could it just be that cab has been bashed and stressed so much that it has distorted?
The Scammell Townsman looks very stylish too. I reckon they could be made into a really nice mobile home by building a body onto the rear of the chassis. A nice project when I win lottery!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:49:43 am »
Arrrgh!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 03:34:26 pm »
omg ! a "mobile " home they only do about 10 miles anhour i think

just adding very quickly before the usual culprits chip in  ;) - even that would be faster than my Bruetsch, Bond and Gordon  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:36:17 pm by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:00:43 pm »
I did not know that the windows opened. Could it just be that cab has been bashed and stressed so much that it has distorted?

I have zoomed in several times but I can't make out what the little triangle between the windscreen and the door is. The windscreen doesn't normally open. It may be that the cab has been abused and distressed. They did paint over the Scammell logo and the front bumper looks weathered too.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 07:24:41 am »
just adding very quickly before the usual culprits chip in  ;) - even that would be faster than my Bruetsch, Bond and Gordon  ;D

But the Scarab can tow all three at once being a locomotive. The Scarab Camper, ideal for the narrowboat fan who cannot afford to be on the canal network.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 12:51:33 pm »
The Mechanical Horseswere very slow, the Scarabs could do about 40 mph and the Townsman could do over 50, so that would be the one to go for. It's only a pipedream though!