Author Topic: Weiner auction live feed  (Read 53941 times)

messerschmitt

• Chatty
Re: Weiner auction live feed
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »
when I bought my first Isetta in 1987, I paid £500 for it - thought it was overpriced but it was a nice one, so I went for it.

Here's a run down of the prices paid for the cars I bought.

Isetta Plus LHD £525
Isetta RHD £50
Messerschmitt Kr200 £200
T&T Isetta RHD £500
Nobel £200
Bond Minicar MkC £350
Fiat 500 £200
Berkeley T60 (x2) £800
Berkeley B95 - £2000, with a rather juicy transferable number

WHen the Powerdrive was bought, it was a choice of that or Alan Ellis's Frisky Sport at the same money  - a grand!

The Mochet was swapped for a T60 hardtop model in need of restoration

The cars I scrapped in the early 90s as unrestorable would all see the light of day again.

Even in 2007 the three Honda Z600s (including a runner, and an 80% restored example with a shed full of new old stock spare parts) only cost £1000 for the three.

I don't think these prices are good for the hobby but I do need to revise my insurance valuations.

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2013, 09:02:47 AM »
Well, after all the excitements of the Madison auction, the quiet will come back soon i reckon. No worries at all.
Maybe for us common enthusiasts the prizes were to high ( yes !). But for those, loving the cars, and not planning to sell them, they don't care.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »

If anyone wanted a car badly enough they didn't even need to get off their duff.

I at last understand the Simpsons beer jokes! 'We are both fluent, Bough, but sadly in different languages'!

I have had several chats with folks about the effects of the auction. It all depends on you standpoint of course. I think it inevitable that the unit price will rise by an, as yet, unknown increment. Certain cars will get overpriced and unavailable for a bit till folk calm down. A lot of duffers will sell quite well as folk will make the assumption, alluded to by Chris T, that you can restore into profit. The problem is that the spares and purchasable skills sets will rise in value and the target of finish for 'top' money is now firmly established as better then off the production line. Only a few people will have the set up costs, talents and time to fulfil a restoration to that brief. Buying it in is, as always, a risky business. The genuine enthusiast will not care save that the entry price will probably rise. The cars to go for, and rejected by the bling boys clearly, remain the good unrestored cars but more and more pressure will fall on these as they represent 'easy' restorations for increased value at the expense of worth. That is important for me as loose those cars and the history, roots and meaning of all the other cars is lost for ever. An incorrectly over restored car in the wrong environment is really not very interesting to those who originally valued and saved these cars. Does that matter, probably not, but it is where I walk away saying 'boring'.

Root, on the other hand, has seen another positive. That is that there other 'silly little cars' that are not yet collected, overpriced or even valued for the interesting things they are. They might be on the margins of what I describe as a MIcrocar but RUM recommends a broad church so you can still muck about with I.C., French Fridges, Moped/quad type weirdness from round the world like Funtech or Norjska. A.B.O. in most cases for the folk who like sitting in fields but not quite hitting the mark for a tour of Wales. Then again light cars are dirt cheap too, they do now do tours of the Pennines etc. not least in the hands of Micro Maniacs. Sadly I do not see either arena really doing it for me, but it will come in for many folk I am sure. Change is consistent.

Its very tough for anyone new without a budget or a car though. That does not bode well for the long term grass roots activities.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:26:24 PM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2013, 12:58:48 PM »
You have a point of course al but I don't remember the last few years as being well known for newcomers to our interests. Very rare to see teenagers and twentysomethings joining us anyway. In general they don't like getting their hands dirty  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »

Very rare to see teenagers and twentysomethings joining us anyway. In general they don't like getting their hands dirty  ;)

Jonathan! Jamie! Show Uncle Richard your hands!   ;D    ;)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »
Of course. Like the VSCC its inherited cars now.

'One day, lad, all this will be yours.'

'What the kurbstones?'

'No, lad. The garage and all those acres of spares'

'But I don't want that. I just want a Singer'.

'We'll 'ave none of that. Your driving the NSU Prinz Luxus so you better get used to the idea!'
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »
I do an analysis of sales of Microcars, mostly on Ebay,

The trouble with eBay is it's so easy to manipulate!  :-\

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
Don't mention jonathan he's gone off the rails despite a proper upbring - mopeds fgs  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »
What do you mean by manipulate blob ?

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »

For instance, the seller has another account in a family members name or under a different credit card and bids on it himself! Either way eBay makes money, so although discouraged doubt they care!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:19:43 PM by blob »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
Surely, know one would be so devious - it's against the rules

Regards
Barry (oops, I mean Adam)

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
For this reason one shouldn't make eBays results the basis for their valuation, although there have been some bargains.

Guess it's all down to PR in the end, we've all noted auctions with less PR than BW underselling cars.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:37:24 PM by blob »

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
Hi
    When my  two teenage daughters tried to join the Heinkel Trojan club after the first weiner auction, they both had cars which I bought them and they been working on my cars all their lives, and they Just appered on TV - the BBC promoting the first Auction - they both wrote to the club with the joining fee - Then they were told that they were not old enough to join the club - with this snotty letter from the chairman of the club, and if that was worse he'd highlighted the letter in RED ink the words" join when you are 18 and then we may consider your application". My 14 year old daughter was in tears - I still have their cars in the back of my garage- My two daughters wanted nothing to do with micro-cars again - I hope the clubs have changed their attitude towards teenagers.

Mike

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »
The net effect has to be a bit of a rise in prices I imagine.

Perhaps not across the board.  All this auction really established is that any car formerly in the Weiner collection is worth an enormous amount of money.  Absolutely any car.  Enormous.  Even the VSPs not included in this particular sale.  Heck, especially those.  This is the main message that should be selflessly and wholeheartedly promulgated for the common good.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »

Sorry Richard but Im going to have to use the N word! Naive.