Author Topic: Authentic Tuk-Tuk Taxi  (Read 6272 times)

inacoma

Authentic Tuk-Tuk Taxi
« on: March 24, 2007, 04:51:13 PM »
Hi

Available in some town you all seem to know. Is it "Up North" ekky thump

Authentic Tuk-Tuk Taxi
A growing trend in novelty travel Item number: 190094868705

Comes with a Brin James trailer included.

Don't worry, when you come from Bournemouth almost everything is up north

John

witney44

Re: Authentic Tuk-Tuk Taxi
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »
UP NORTH? That's where I was born, near Stuarts place. I don't wear a flat cap and neither does Stuart. Cowboy hat maybe! ;D

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:48:41 PM »
Eeee by 'eck, thas a reet bobbie-dazeler ist yon! Wel, I'll go to the foot o' our stairs. (!!!!) Look, stop giving me an identity crisis will you all. Up till now I'd always regarded myself as a Southener. Now you tell me I'm a Northerner!!! And I've scarcly been north of Banbury!

Mind you, I have been known to wear a flat cap ( :o) and say "ay up", but I can't say I have any desire to start breeding Whippets so I can't be a Northerner. Having spent all my life in Oxfordshire, I can't half roll my "R"'s though.....

Of the headwear, I currently have designs on a rather natty red pointed one with a bell on the end....

inacoma

Re: Accents
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 06:54:29 PM »
Hi

Don't worry

I was born in Bournemouth, but my mum and dad came from Coventry. Everyone I meet seems to think I come from London as my accent, when not doing the posh phone voice is sort of cor blimey.

John

witney44

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »
 Oooow lovely, red pointed hat with bell! Are you going to paint your micro red and yellow and have you found a mate with big ears? ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 07:01:20 PM by witney44 »

witney44

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »
 OO ARR. Bournemouth, isn't that near Cornwall?  ;D

inacoma

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 07:25:56 PM »
OO ARRR

Sort of

JJ

Triporteur

• Quite Chatty
    • Online Bicycle Museum
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 12:17:10 AM »
Why are autorickshaws being called tuk-tuks?

The website says "From the city of Bangkok to the streets of Britain..."  and "Tuk-Tuk taxis can be seen all over Bangkok City..."

but you won't see any tuk-tuks like this in Thailand. They look very different.

The autorickshaws we had in Brighton last summer were called tuk-tuks too.

Has the name 'tuk-tuk' now become the generic term in UK for 3-wheelers from Asia?
Online Bicycle Museum - http://oldbike.eu

Online Cyclemaster Museum - http://Cyclemaster.co.uk

Sales: http://BuyVintage.co.uk

inacoma

Re: Names
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 08:16:33 AM »
Hi

I supose it's like everyone calls their vacuum cleaner a Hoover.

To the uninitiated they all look the same so they get the common name used.

John

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 12:18:34 PM »
There is now a regular Tuk-Tuk page iin RUMCAR NEWS written by a man who has made it his business to find out most of the answers to your questions.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

witney44

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 01:27:32 PM »
I found manufacturers web sites from China and Thailand and both call their vehicles Tuk Tuk! So it's not just a UK name for them. ;D

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 03:11:27 PM »
You're right witney, these small cars were always called Tuk Tuk's  :) :)

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 08:08:29 PM »
Maybe tuk-tuk is characteristic of the sound they make, as in tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk....

Triporteur

• Quite Chatty
    • Online Bicycle Museum
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »
Inacoma is absolutely right with the comparison to Hoover.

There are 2 very distinct body styles, from 2 very different parts of Asia. Autorickshaws are the Indian style, totally different from Thai tuk-tuks.

The new electric autorickshaws introduced in parts of India and in Kathmandu (Nepal) in the past 5 years are a different style again, but I'm really talking here about the typical Indian Bajaj autorickshaw being wrongly labeled.

I've never come across anyone in South Asia - which comprises India, Pak, Nepal, Bangla Desh, Sri Lanka - who uses the word Tuk tuk. (I might be wrong, but I lived and worked in Asia for 10 years until 2003 and have travelled in all the above countries). 3-wheeled taxis are called an auto-rickshaw, or 'auto' for short. As I'm sure you already know, 3-wheeled commercials are neither an autorickshaw nor a tuk-tuk, but are called 'tempo' because the German tempo was the first major model, and more recently they are also called 'bajaj' as most of them these days are made by Bajaj. Just to confuse matters, some large 3-wheel taxis in certain parts of India are actually made by the manufacturer Tempo and these are called tempos, not autorickshaw.

In Nepal, I seem to remember all three wheelers apart from autorickshaws are called tempos, eg the larger Vikram 3-wheeler local buses.

4-wheelers have only very recently overtaken 3-wheelers as the predominant form of transport in India. ie there are so many more autorickshaws, bajaj's and tempos within India's 1 billion population, than in Thailand (population similar to UK) where tuk-tuks are mainly used in tourist areas of the large cities; i would estimate maybe only a few thousand exist in Thailand? Everywhere in Thailand the predominant form of local pasenger transport is by 4-wheel pick-up truck with a metal tilt on the back and a row of seats on each side.

There are no tuk tuks in China that I've come across, Witney. The only 3-wheelers I've seen there are roto-tillers (main form of transport in poor agricultural areas and all across Tibet) and sidecar outfit taxis in Kashgar (in the far west province of China). Lhasa also has cyclos (cycle-rickshaws similar to the Nepali ones). But China's a very big country and I've only travelled across; has anyone else seen 3-wheelers in China?
China has close connections with Thailand, but absolutely none with India (serious rivals; China invaded India in 1962; and India hosts his Holiness DL with Tibet obviously a contentious issue), so i guess it would make sense for a Chinese website to identify with a name closer to home - especially if it is selling Thai tuk-tuks to the West!

Re Jean's comment: Keith's 'tuk-tuk' page in Rumcars News quite surprised me as he owns one - but the heading gave the impression that 'autorickshaw' was the model of Bajaj; despite his opening paragraph that 'Bajaj is the major manufacturer of autorickshaws,' he described them otherwise in the article as tuk-tuks.

Yes, Blob, tuk-tuk is certainly the Thai word for them because of the sound they make, the same as 'tik-ai' is the name of the (beautiful) lizard that makes the loud call of 'tik-ai' during the night.

I'm not being pedantic just for the sake of it. And no offence intended to anyone if I'm speaking out of turn (ie you don't know me). But I am interested in club opinions of how important it is to correctly describe a vehicle type. Or at least to acknowledge that it has been mis-named.  Otherwise, isn't it pretty much the same as calling a Peel a Reliant? :) :)
Online Bicycle Museum - http://oldbike.eu

Online Cyclemaster Museum - http://Cyclemaster.co.uk

Sales: http://BuyVintage.co.uk

witney44

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 10:46:09 PM »
The only time I ever seen a Reliant looking like a Peel was when a mate of mine sprayed his Mk 6 orange with a Hoover, sorry, Vacuum. You should have seen the orange peel!
Thanks for all the info. Great.  ;D