Author Topic: Trident Miller 3  (Read 4351 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Trident Miller 3
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:01:12 PM »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Trident Miller 3
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:32:49 PM »
Yes, I saw this and thought that if you squint at the rear and side view it is more Bond MkA/B than reliant. Or is it just me?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:02:05 PM »
Dear Bob

No if you squint hard enough it looks like a Caterham seven that has had the front suspension sheered off and the engine replced by one wheel

Chris Thomas

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:19:59 PM »
Only one word for that:  odd
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »
Actually if you dont squint at all it looks like a pile of rubbish.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »
Yes but somebody will buy it.

The turning circe looks to be a disaster with the front wheel under the nose cone.

I womder what the next project will be that needs a Reliant engine and gearbox? Do you think it might be a Citroen SM replica or a scaled down Rolls Royce Phanton V or a stretched Microcar Virago?

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »
Dont talk to me about Microcar Virgo's, today whilst Shelley was out in it the exhaust dropped off!

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 02:12:16 PM »
I think it looks quite sensible - from an engineering point of view. 

A long wheelbase is good for a sporty three-wheeler of this layout as it gets more weight on the back axle and so increases the stability.

Andrew

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 08:58:35 PM »
Hi Andrew, I can see where you are coming from but if you want a sporty three wheeler why choose the wrong layout to start with. Mr Morgan got it right first time, two wheels at the front with all the engine weight slap bang between the front wheels. What do you drive Andrew?

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »
Mr Morgan got it right first time, two wheels at the front with all the engine weight slap bang between the front wheels.
And I would have thought one step better than that would be the not-a-microcar Trihawk with its flat four engine cantilevered out in front of the front wheels and about three-quarters of its weight on the front wheels, perfect for its front wheel drive, for traction and for stability.

I guess one could say the same thing for the Bond 875 though, like any 1F2R, having the lowest stability when braking doesn't seem ideal.

What do you drive Andrew?
[Hanging head in shame] Nothing micro-ish - it's just a pipedream at the moment and probably should stay that way as I don't have a garage.  I did build a scooter conversion into an FF (feet forward motorcycle) a few years ago and the working with tarpaulins is grim.

Andrew

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 08:02:49 PM »
I agree Andrew and come to think of it the Berkeley has a pretty sensible set up too. Its funny how one of the most unstable layouts for a three wheeler ever devised was used by the most successful British three wheeler ever made, Reliant! Don't be too ashamed, there are a number of prolific contributors to this forum that either don't own a microcar or do not drive one on our roads. My aim is to get all you armchair enthusiast into microcar ownership, as I have said before, you cant be a philatelist without having a few stamps in your album! I guess you could rent a garage, my Messerschmitt is stored in a classic car storage facility for the winter months, it cost £7 per week, not too bad.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »
Nothing micro-ish - it's just a pipedream at the moment

Well I own 3 microcars though sadly they're all in pieces, so you're not too far behind not owning one. You could always get a box trailer and park it in a secure storage facility that's used for motor-homes, I pay £30 a month that way.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 08:50:02 PM »
Dear Bob

We all have our interests but you do not need to own a TV production company to enjoy watching TV.

Whilst I applaude you vast collection of stamps (microcars) which you have lovingly brought back to life. We do not all have the skills and patience that you do.

I would much rather drive other peoples restored Microcars than try and renovate one and muck it up. So can I drive one of your collecting next year?

Many thanks in advance

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 12:12:55 AM »
Hi Chris. My vast collection comprises of two cars! I'm not asking anyone to restore cars from wrecks like I have been fool hardy enough to do , cars can be bought already up together and running. TV's are made to be watched, thats after you have bought one of course! microcars are made to be driven and by the same token you have to buy one first. My encouragement to take the plunge wasnt just aimed at you Chris but as they say, if the cap fits. You will buy one in the end, I guarantee it! I will make a deal with you , you buy a microcar this summer , let me have a drive and you can have a go of mine, how's that?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 08:54:30 PM »
Dear Bob

A point well put

It is a good Job that I own an Elswick.

Chris Thomas