Author Topic: Is this the TG500 we should be watching?  (Read 16600 times)

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
Re: Is this the TG500 we should be watching?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »
Hmmm, reserve prize not met?

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 06:42:01 PM »
Isn't it amazing that this seller would suddenly choose to list the car at a fixed price when the bidding had been so hot on the previous "auctions".

Of course it could be that someone thought that shill bidding was being indulged in with this car, and the only way that both parties involved (seller & top bidder) could get out of that particular accusation with ebay was for the car to be "sold" through a fixed price listing at the final bid reached in the previous "auction".

Nah I'm just a pessimist, if you're paying that much for a sports car, most people (on this board at least!) would choose the TG500 over an Aston Martin Vantage.

Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 07:22:18 AM »
Seller obviously couldn't get more than 44 sterling on a global market.

Not quite the 80+ banded about.

Least we know where we all are.  Tiger mafia must be weeping!!! 
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 11:10:42 AM »
Where do I pick up my Aston Martin Vantage from? No contest in my book. However I will settle for a race tuned AC Type 70 as it will be more fun than either for about thrupence ha'penny as I cannot afford either of the others at the sale price.

Since this is the Chinese year of the Tiger should we not refer to the Peel Mafia and Tiger Tong? Ying tong iddle I poh!

Stuff is only worth what someone wants to pay for it. Today £44k, tomorrow £30k, next week £80k - if I had the car i would waiting for next week unless I wanted the money for something as it is a sellers market.  Likewise if you need the money never turn down a good price as it might be unrepeatable. At sometime we will reach the tipping point on values. Not sure we are there but of course I refer back to the marketing comment and undermining the possible value of a car by a poor advertising stratagy. So I would not write in to much to this alledged deal underwriting the market for Tigers. Makes for good idle banter, the Eastenders of bubblecar topics.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »
Seller obviously couldn't get more than 44 sterling on a global market.

Yeah but if only he'd been prepared to let it go the month before,  he'd have got $20,000 more. how tragic is that :'(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-Messerschmitt-FMR-TG500-Tiger-Classic-Car-Original_W0QQitemZ260532201845QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item3ca8ede975#v4-36
Malcolm

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »

Yeah but if only he'd been prepared to let it go the month before,  he'd have got $20,000 more. how tragic is that :'(

???  No he would not have. 
The reserve was not met and he was offering it privately for that amount after that listing ended.  No takers.
That means that the people bidding it up were not really interested in taking delivery of the car. (at least at that price)
Take from that what you will.
Do NOT pay attention to bid prices where the Reserve Is Not Met!   They mean nothing.

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »

That means that the people bidding it up were not really interested in taking delivery of the car.

[/quote]

Whereas this time we are expected to believe that they were! ::)

Sorry Jim, but I don't think that the car sold this time for £44,000 any more than it was really bidded up to $90,000 by "serious" buyers. I think the only people who've gained money on this deal were Ebay who obviously smelled a rat. Hence the magic fixed price auction. Cheapest/fastest way to get out of jail without loosing too much face but pretty stupid if there really were two people interested in paying anywhere near that price for the car on the open market.
Malcolm

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Is this the TG500 sold
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »
Expect to see this fine vehicle at this years MOC rally in July

I expect not.
The car is still for sale as of today.  The seller is still shopping it around for $91,000 USD.
He says the "British Buyer" backed out.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
The plot thickens....   
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »
I really do not understand all this talk of mafia, tactical bidding and all the rest of it. I just know that a decent lottery win or selling quite a few HUNDRED of my drum kits, (thank you Bob!) would have me looking for a TG.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 07:52:57 PM »
The plot thickens....   

Use Busto gravy train granules - also available on selected eBay auctions with a second bidder offer.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs