Author Topic: Is this the TG500 we should be watching?  (Read 16605 times)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Is this the TG500 we should be watching?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 11:59:09 PM »
same car as from this thread:
http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=2050.0

but no sale in the USA so now it seems to be offered on UK eBay.

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 02:45:43 AM »
Ahh, the Ponderosa Tiger again. A lovely car indeed and in sound condition.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 08:24:28 AM »
Someone has bid £12K .... yeah, right!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »
Dear National Lottery
When this car was offered on US ebay I felt it was only fair that you fixed it for me to win the Lottery, now that it is on sale on UK ebay I think it is even more important that you fix it for me to win.
Thank you.
Marcus.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:28:40 PM »
The auction ended this evening at a Pawtry £44,600 unsold. Not so valuable after all?

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 11:29:45 PM »
Interesting... 
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 11:56:55 PM »
I thought they were highly prized and extremely valuable and people were paying lots and lots of money for them.
or SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD.  :P

Last time around this car was bid up to £55K
look what happened when he lowered the Reserve!
The bids went lower too!
As if people wanted to bid but did not want to end up having to pay for it.

imagine that.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 08:53:07 AM »
The auction ended this evening at a Pawtry £44,600 unsold.

Petty cash eh, Bob?!
Next time a TG 500 comes up for sale, chuck few K my way!

I think the owner believed the price hype and is probably feeling a little underwhelmed at this.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 09:44:48 AM »
Marcus , all you have to do is sell a couple of drum kits and you would had the lolly! ;)

So come on then, what does all this mean? Jim and myself [both no strangers to the sale rooms] along with others suggested that some of the prices banded about were hype and we got slated on the forum for even suggesting it. Were we right or has the economic downturn suddenly bitten? I would imagine that the people who could afford these cars five years ago could still afford them now. Lets have your views.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 12:50:41 PM »
Depends who is selling, where they are selling and how they are selling. I am not convinced eBay is the place for highest prices but rather the opposite. If wealthy collectors are the top of the market how many of them have time or inclination to watch eBay auctions. These guys see something they want and buy it. They are not really into bidding over a week or so watching as they have bigger fish to fry. The market for top prices is therefore directed at what they do have time to look at, like Bruce's Museum clearouts or a top auction in the correct location. Their hobby is collecting/investment while living in a way we can only imagine. EBay itself has changed character and is much more populated by the traders than it used to be. The poor economic times have played into their hands.

My understanding is this car had a very substantial offer made for it which was turned down. It is therefore alledged to be known to be beyond what the collectors will pay and of no interest to them at that price. Putting it on eBay has only served to prove there is no other market for the car at top money other than the collectors. The rest of us who do watch auctions frustrated as stuff is out of our buying power can only talk about it and it is not worth anyone bidding on as we all know it is going to be too much money. Thus the car is not finding a market at the moment even if it is bid up in some naughty way. Has the owner in fact overplayed his hand and devalued this car in proving that few are interested in it at top money? I do not doubt there are offers in place which are below that which the owner wishes to sell but above that which we, the impoverished enthusiasts, would be able to pay. This is because our hobby is framed at lower prices and with an element of hands on work and usage.

It is frustrating but I believe that is the reality. We are looking at two differing hobbies with one demanding the rare and perfect cars the other less well off hobby value too but for slightly differing reasons. I have accepted that I have to alter my expectations of cars I can afford and in time I either have to accept my little collection gets to be a to large a proportion of my value in cash on the planet or adjust, releasing some cars, so I can justify the collection value in proportion to my income. This means looking at vehicles I had previously dismissed or changing to another area of interest altogether if I wish to continue to find new projects. Fortunately like many Microcar owner I actually have more work in hand than I can really cope with if I am honest so I am slightly insulated from the effects that a newer or less affluent person will suffer. Is it any surprise that fizzies and stuff are now being played with more - see site talk? It is people adjusting to the new values of things and attempting to enjoy themselves at a base level that will not stimulate a divorce.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 01:40:46 PM »
Depends who is selling, where they are selling and how they are selling. I am not convinced eBay is the place for highest prices but rather the opposite.

I'm not sure about "the opposite" but it is an accurate reflection of the "market".  If you want to sell your item THIS WEEK, that is what people will pay for it.
The "market" includes both end users and dealers.   
If you have any item that you want to sell in a short period of time you have the option of selling it privately and hopefully finding a buyer willing to pay "retail" value or you end up wholesaleing the item to a dealer.
If you want to sell it "sometime" over the next year, then you have different options of presenting it to another market.

If wealthy collectors are the top of the market how many of them have time or inclination to watch eBay auctions.

few.  that is why they attend Live Auctions. 
That is why Fine Art failed to sell on eBay when they first tried years ago.  A Live Auction provides an environment that allows one to have more of a sensory experience when inspecting an item for potential purchase.
plus there is a social aspect to it that is lacking from buying via a computer screen.

My understanding is this car had a very substantial offer made for it which was turned down.

My understanding is that the SELLER made the car available privately at a substantial offer that was discounted from the "Reserve" and it was turned down.
Or at least not accepted.

Has the owner in fact overplayed his hand and devalued this car in proving that few are interested in it at top money?

I would say "yes" because so many people do not bother to notice that the Reserve has not been met.
There are still people that believe that "other" yellow Tg that has been on eBay.de a few times has actually "sold" for over 100,000 Euros despite not reaching Reserve and despite being listed a few times.
Those same people will look at this and think that either there is something "wrong" with this car or that the market value has plummeted.
I always tell people not to pay any attention to prices that do not meet Reserve, but few people pay attention.  They just look at the numbers.
These are the same people that see a £2000 car for sale for £20,000 and say "Wow! Look at what they are going for these days!"  Never mind that the car has not sold.

I do not doubt there are offers in place which are below that which the owner wishes to sell but above that which we, the impoverished enthusiasts, would be able to pay.

I agree and I know there are.  There is "new blood" in the microcar collecting hobby and "new money" as well.  However it is not just wealthy collectors.  There are number of new enthusiasts out there that are car nuts that have discovered Microcars and are learning all they can about them and find them fascinating.  These people will actually bring a car to a meet, talk with people, share information...just like regular folk.  Because they are.  But they just have a bit more money and different perception of what things are "worth".  They are not "super rich".   But they do recognize when they are looking at something that is rare, has a fascinating history and are willing to pay more money for it than some others, but not "stupid money".
I have had discussions with a few people at length about this car, serious buyers who were willing to pay just a bit less than what this went to this time.   They were bidding on it.  But they were not playing around like some other bidders who are bidding only to try and keep the perception of the market high.

I do not think that this car would bring big money if presented to a "super rich" collector or put into a high-end Live Auction.
It is not "original enough" and it is not completely restored and perfect.   For all intents and purposes it is just "a Messerschmitt" to them.  For an investor it is a risky buy as there are few established "values" for it.  It has not been "blessed" by the marketplace enough to warrant the attention.
I don't feel TOO BAD for the seller though, he came in to the MOC forum looking for parts for his Tg, everyone was very excited about a new Tg owner and tried to be very helpful.
Once he got the parts he needed, he put the car up for sale. I think that more than a few people felt duped.
Of course the seller was led to believe the car was worth much more so he got "duped" as well.   

Karma, it's a bitch.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 01:41:17 PM »
Depends who is selling, where they are selling and how they are selling. I am not convinced eBay is the place for highest prices but rather the opposite. If wealthy collectors are the top of the market how many of them have time or inclination to watch eBay auctions. These guys see something they want and buy it. They are not really into bidding over a week or so watching as they have bigger fish to fry. The market for top prices is therefore directed at what they do have time to look at, like Bruce's Museum clearouts or a top auction in the correct location. Their hobby is collecting/investment while living in a way we can only imagine. EBay itself has changed character and is much more populated by the traders than it used to be. The poor economic times have played into their hands.

My understanding is this car had a very substantial offer made for it which was turned down. It is therefore alledged to be known to be beyond what the collectors will pay and of no interest to them at that price. Putting it on eBay has only served to prove there is no other market for the car at top money other than the collectors. The rest of us who do watch auctions frustrated as stuff is out of our buying power can only talk about it and it is not worth anyone bidding on as we all know it is going to be too much money. Thus the car is not finding a market at the moment even if it is bid up in some naughty way. Has the owner in fact overplayed his hand and devalued this car in proving that few are interested in it at top money? I do not doubt there are offers in place which are below that which the owner wishes to sell but above that which we, the impoverished enthusiasts, would be able to pay. This is because our hobby is framed at lower prices and with an element of hands on work and usage.

It is frustrating but I believe that is the reality. We are looking at two differing hobbies with one demanding the rare and perfect cars the other less well off hobby value too but for slightly differing reasons. I have accepted that I have to alter my expectations of cars I can afford and in time I either have to accept my little collection gets to be a to large a proportion of my value in cash on the planet or adjust, releasing some cars, so I can justify the collection value in proportion to my income. This means looking at vehicles I had previously dismissed or changing to another area of interest altogether if I wish to continue to find new projects. Fortunately like many Microcar owner I actually have more work in hand than I can really cope with if I am honest so I am slightly insulated from the effects that a newer or less affluent person will suffer. Is it any surprise that fizzies and stuff are now being played with more - see site talk? It is people adjusting to the new values of things and attempting to enjoy themselves at a base level that will not stimulate a divorce.

Or (and sit down everyone as the world's set to spin off its axis) a TG in that nick's simply worth £44k

Not that hard to stomach.  
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »
No one said it wasn't worth 44K Perry. Some very interesting observations from both sides of the Atlantic, I think we on the forum are in a privileged position now as we have the benefit of Jims ear to the ground stateside and the experienced perspective of Threadbear, the man who doesn't like forums! ;)  I have to differ on one point though, not all super rich have no time for ferreting out a buy at the correct price, I have come across quite a few big name celebs who collect antiques and are tight as a ducks proverbial! With some that's how they got to be mega rich in the first place. Granted most in this income bracket do have bigger fish to fry. I also agree with Mr Bears point about how us mere mortals have to adjust our hobby in relation to what we can afford, hence my recent moped buying flurry!

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 06:55:55 PM »
Or is it simply the case that with some very tactical bidding someone has managed to bring down the values of Tg500s around the world  :o.  Jim has correctly pointed out that prices of Peels have been artificially raised through E-Bay so perhaps this is the opposite end of the spectrum.  A jolly good idea if you are in the market to buy a a Tg but not so good if your a paid up member of the Tiger mafia  ;D