Author Topic: The 7th Peel P50 ever built is for sale on ebay!  (Read 53024 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: The 7th Peel P50 ever built is for sale on ebay!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 05:14:33 PM »
 Bidding on the P50 has ended early this afternoon at 16-grand. Will it be back, or has it gone we wonder......   :-X

Hello Dom, trust you didn't mind too much your pic going up, looks a very nice find from here. Well done for turning up a GENUINE one!  :-*

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »
Hmm?  a Peel never makes full term on evilbay. 

Where has it gone?  Pulled by seller as a cheeky listing that cliuld have got messy or simply sold for big bucks outside of the auction?   

I'm sure you'll find out soon enough captain cyphus.

Oh and Dom that was some find.  I know plenty of people who's dream it is to find a long lost Peel....

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 10:22:08 PM »
 Relisted, new description, new price. £25,000 buy-it-now.  Is that a side swipe at me in the last line I wonder....   :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180535423080

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 06:09:59 AM »
Relisted, new description, new price. £25,000 buy-it-now.  Is that a side swipe at me in the last line I wonder....   :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180535423080

so what is it?    a reshell.  on a real peel?  where's the old "wrecked" body?  does it have an OG chassis plate?  either way whole car is a snide.

lost its orig body, orig engine and orig reg.  chances of the chassis plate being the orig peel one?   even if it is so what?  it just has the i.d. of that original car.  Why not be straight up and honest?  

I can't decide who should have the car, so to be fair to everyone, I have removed the auction and replaced it with a buy it now price only, then the first person to see the advert and buy it wins    err surely the standard auction listing dictates who would have got the thing?

i know,   i have an original chassis plate off a type 35 Bugatti in my desk draw.   i'll build an entire car up from it...   brooms, handles and heads.   

He quotes,  "If you are a car bore?!"  reams of receipts. What's wrong in getting what you pay for and asking basically if it's the real mccoy?     what he's selling is a very good rep.  and it's pitched about 2 times it's value.    VOSA would have a field day if they got stuck into it!    Q reg anyone?!  

So Lord Cyphus it seems to be angled at you.  See you Sunday..    
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:17:41 AM by P50 »
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »
Only another opaque eBay sale. This guy sold a Schmitt a year or two back after pestering folks for best bits. He is clearly only interested in money and will do or say anything that achieves his purpose. Just another new Microcar owner in fact. Clealy wanting history and paperwork is for us boring types who do not want to be ripped off not those who see a comodity to trade in. Wonder when VOSA will look at Peel registrations as eventually someone is going to complain officially in some way after finding they have a cloned car.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 11:16:23 AM »
Only another opaque eBay sale. This guy sold a Schmitt a year or two back after pestering folks for best bits. He is clearly only interested in money and will do or say anything that achieves his purpose. Just another new Microcar owner in fact. Clealy wanting history and paperwork is for us boring types who do not want to be ripped off not those who see a comodity to trade in. Wonder when VOSA will look at Peel registrations as eventually someone is going to complain officially in some way after finding they have a cloned car.

Where there's money there's corruption and skulduggery.  Peels are easy to rep.

Not a problem owing a fake. As long as you're aware you're paying for one.   Paperwork is nice but simple provenance suffices.  Simple as that.  That aside it's a very very nice car with all the correct bits. 

Mind you, caveat emptor in all areas at all times. Do your research et al...     However Mr Hewett would do well to be aware of caveat actor....    as I'm sure he'll be reading our discussion avidly...     these things usually end in tears.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:22:43 AM by P50 »
-Benvenuto Cellini

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 02:12:33 PM »
When asked what parts of the car are original he said:
"Hello, I can't say in writing which parts are original but I am willing to chat on the telephone. It is 100% correct in the detail and I should think it is easily the best one in the world."

Why does he want to chat on the telephone?  I thought he did not like "car bores"?
 ::)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »
Anything written can easily be used as evidence!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »
Just to let you know. If you lock at the vendors listings on ebay, he bought a to small carb. Also the engine. Its not driveable in a Peel. In fact it is a small moped engine, and it is air coolled not fan cooled. Fit it in a Peel, barrel and piston will seize after a few miles.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 04:02:21 PM »
In one pic of the seat I'm sure I can see a bit of the starting handle?

Wonder what the engine number is?  80416004***?  that would prove it at least has an OG 4.2 motor..   
-Benvenuto Cellini

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 08:11:20 PM »
where is the chassis number on a real P50?

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 11:07:03 PM »
where is the chassis number on a real P50?

Not sure to describe it right in english mates. Chassis number is always on the " dashboard" Close to the steering

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 11:18:37 PM »
 Sounds like Peels may be just like many earlier "open" invalid carriages: if they have a chassis number at all (& several older types don't!) it was only ever on a seperate rivited plate which tended to fall off, rather than ever actully being stamped on any physical part of the frame/chassis.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 12:49:12 AM »
Not sure to describe it right in english mates. Chassis number is always on the " dashboard" Close to the steering

You could not have described it better!

I ask because the seller claims the car was a wreck with the chassis number barely visible.   For most people they would assume the chassis number was stamped into a frame piece on the ...."chassis" someplace.

A vehicle ID plate is easily fabricated or reproduced. 
I am sure that Bob Purton could tell many stories about faked antiquities (not by his hand of course...) he has encountered that exist simply because there is a market for these things for the uninformed buyer.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 05:52:31 AM »
Of course, there are fakes everywhere. The worrying thing is that the legal system doesn't seem to care, those responsible only ever get prosecuted if the buyer takes them to court. It wasn't allways like this, when I started out in the 1970's there was a guy doing porridge for making fake equinoctial dials, ring dials, butterfields, etc, the guy was a great artisan and was only caught out because he got too greedy and the dials were turning up at Sotherbys and Christies too frequently. Suspicion was aroused and tests were done on the brass revealing it to be a modern alloy rolled brass and not eighteenth century founded brass. He only ended up in clink because he had to be made an example of for showing the big auction rooms up for what they are, lacking in expertees and greedier than he was! The annoying thing about ebay is that fakes are sold through it by the thousands on a weekly basis and very little is done about it. Fake peels are just the tip of the iceburg! Auctions disclaim responsibility and say we are only agents for the vendors but I think that if the law is followed to the letter they also have a responsibility and cases in the past have proved this to be the case. Still as someone else suggested, maybe one day the DVLA will go through the Peel register and there could be a few more folk sewing mail bags.