Author Topic: road legal p50 from bambycars  (Read 50057 times)

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
Re: road legal p50 from bambycars
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 11:18:33 AM »
yes we will be at the nationals  with the new bamby p50, it will be available for appraisal and a test drive should interested partys wish.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »

What would you rather have? A real TG, or a repro one for a fraction of the price, but as original?

As long as it sounds like a TG and is metal, I would have the repro!

I agree with Jonathan. When the original becomes so highly valued that your budget and investment means you can't use it as originally intended, surely it's better to have the option of a repro at a lower price that you can drive, display and muck about with to your hearts content. In my view there is plently of room for both providing one can distinguish between a replica and an original. Let's face facts, most microcars were never manufactured with the expectation that they'd still be in regular use 50+ years later and numbers are dwindling.  What's left are increasingly rare survivors and for every person who'd love an original, there are probably quite a few whose budget might allow them to buy one but wouldn't because they are less concerned with investment potential and more with driving the thing. Other than fakes passed off as originals, I've never know a replica to devalue an original, they usually serve to increase the desirability of owing "the real thing". It certainly might help boost attendance at rallys

The microcar wrld has changed.

Before, in the mid 70's, people where finding them everywhere, buying parts to restore them, and driving them to the rallies, and selling them for a few quid to the next owner, who will have fun in it too.

Now, people restore them better than they ever where, and are scared to use them in case they damage them. So many things have gone up in value, and now all people care about is the price.
You would prefer to sell a car to a museum for a bit more money than someone offering you a bit less, and he will use it, as it is meant for.

You used to be able to buy conrods from the schmitt club for 27 pounds, and now there over 200...

All about money.

Let's hope most of the micro people use there cars, instead of lcking them up in a museum, and not knowing how to do anything with it.

Whats the point of owning something you don't use? For example, let's say I have a vintage toy that is worth a fortune, and it is sealed. Of course, I wouldnt open it, I would sell it. The buyer will then sell it again, and so on. no one will ever use it.

Let's hope values dont go even higher then they already are, I'm sure most of you remember oing to all of the rallies, peole laughing about the car, and having fun.
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

daughter of bamby

• Chatty

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »
you are all slowly building the microcar worlds grave.money,value,should mean nothing.if you are only interested in what its worth then you should find another hobby,cars were meant to be driven,not to be just looked at in a field 10 meters from the trailer that brought it in.

soon as money gets involved the whole thing becomes a snobby arena of one upmanship.

fortuntately i am well priced out of anything other than a bond so dont have to worry about it.

as for 9k being within reach of younger people,well thats a years wages for me,and if i had 9k to spare theres a lot more exiting machinery that could be bought.

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »
CANT PLEASE EM ALL !

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2011, 06:47:51 PM »
Will a new Bamby Peel P50 be at the National in September ? I hope so. I wish you every success. I hope this will bring down the value of the originals, then it might stop someone keeping on about how much he thinks his own car is worth. Most of us have vehicles with some value, some more than others, but we don't keep on about it and there's more to this hobby than talking the values up all the time.

Couldnt agree more Nick!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2011, 07:38:58 PM »
funny dan - being a Reliant owner you wouldnt be interested in a cars value  :D  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »
The good thing is at 9 grand for a new P50 you know what you're getting as in a new machine ready to go.

You could fall in the cart however by buying (for example) a once fine original KR that's been restored by amatures who fit fibreglass front wings, nasty paint jobs and even worse,  incorrect spec interiors with modern out of place vinyl and other inferior badly home made cheap and nasty parts.  

You just cannot believe the utter rubbish out there.

Caveat emptor.     
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:11:05 PM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »
 Meiow!

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
I thought someone would throw his dummy out of the pram. Maybe now he'll stop keep on about how much he thinks his cars are worth. When it come to desirable machines with high values, there are some here with vehicles way above your league. 
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2011, 09:41:51 PM »
I have to applaud bamby cars! An affordable and more importantly useable (if there is such a thing)  p50. The price is substantially different from others ( naming no names)building replica peels. Having just taken a look at the YouTube videos I am very impressed! The acceleration and stability looks to be superb! What make of engine is in it?

As for the attracting young blood debate, being (fairly) young myself I feel that the microcar scene needs to be careful, as it could go same way as property Market .... A lot of houses are beyond young people's reach, and look at the state of the property Market now.. No first time buyers! The microcar following could end up going the same way as a Hobby my grandad is involved in- model railways. This pass time is facing near extinction as it is not seen as cool and the older stalwarts of the scene are failing to embrace young blood.

Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 10:08:35 PM »
The videos of the Bamby Peel P50 are great. I know you said they are four stroke, but are they automatic or do they have gears. I guess auto, but I would prefere gears. I'm looking forward to a little test drive if I may at the National.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 10:30:43 PM »
I don't know what motors they have but I would hazard a guess that the engines are Chinese, maybe out of quad bikes? I wonder if spares are available? I'm sure Emma will put us right. About the question of replicas bringing down the value of the real thing. Some times it does, sometimes it doesn't. In the antiques world in which I have been involved for over thirty years I have seen this go both ways, its true that a prints of the Mona Lisa will not devalue the real one but in my own field of antique scientific instruments with the sudden appearance of all the nasty fake ones from India the market for the real stuff has been affected drastically! Example, ten years ago I could sell an antique sextant for about £500/600. The garbage from India came on the market for £50 and now the real ones have dropped to about £250/300. Fakes or should I say "replica's" have just about put me out of business! One of the reasons why is because fakes undermine the confidence of the buying public. At least these Bamby P50's are not pretending to be something that they are not, although there are plenty out there that are!

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 09:41:52 AM »
The videos of the Bamby Peel P50 are great. I know you said they are four stroke, but are they automatic or do they have gears. I guess auto, but I would prefere gears. I'm looking forward to a little test drive if I may at the National.
        the engines are a honda 4 stroke copy, we dismantled one prior to using it and they are of excellent quality, you get what you pay for and these engines are at the upper end of the price bracket. the gearbox is fully auto, to be honest, it pulls away so well and reaches max speed so quickly, a manual box would be slower in this application.  it will be available at the nationals for a test drive should anybody wish.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »
you are all slowly building the microcar worlds grave.money,value,should mean nothing.cars were meant to be driven,not to be just looked at in a field 10 meters from the trailer that brought it in.

soon as money gets involved the whole thing becomes a snobby arena of one upmanship.

fortuntately i am well priced out of anything other than a bond so dont have to worry about it.

Correct.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs