Author Topic: Scootacar Mark 1 - In very nice condition!!!!!  (Read 30802 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Scootacar Mark 1 - In ver y nice condition!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 09:50:14 PM »
The blue one from CANADA is not gone.  It is in my garage where I gaze at it every day and derive joy from its presence.
I also look forward to working on getting it back together in good road trim as soon as I finish getting the red Nobel 200 into the same condition.  It is now very close as I have finally got the cranking problem solved and have only the dipper switch and horn left to conquer in my rebuild of its electrical system.  
I also bought the Frisky Sport that the same Canadian owner had for sale at the same time with the Scoot and the Nobel for what turned out to be a 10% premium as the seller failed to mention until after I sent him $20,000 that he forgot to mention that he wanted that amount in Canadian dollars.
But I'm not complaining.  I saw my only chance to afford a Scootacar in my lifetime and paid the premium on all three cars gratefully.  It emptied my coffers for most of the year but fit in fine with my life plan.  It also finally made me glad that I got sniped out in the last 3 seconds of paying approximately $12,000 for the rusty and incomplete bits and pieces one on EBay last December.
Thank-you Jim for having the integrity to allow me this possibility.  
You deserve a lot more than one point for that!

Kabine

• Occasional
Re: Scootacar Mark 1 - In very nice condition!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »
Not sure that ebay is always good for sellers. To me it appears very unpredictable.

A number of dealers I have spoken with (of classic bikes for example) say that they get lower prices using it compared to their own web site generated sales.

Looking at US ebay sales this last 2 weeks, I am not sure that the market there is that strong at this moment. Many cars are not selling for the expected prices and sellers are using low reserves or selling after the auction ends.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 08:13:06 AM »
When I was Alan's Unusual Autos I had a self imposed rule that I not buy cars advertised in club magazines. If they appeared outside the club magazines I considered them fair game. I was probably the only admitted trader and probably the only person to do this but I still found plenty of stock and it is a stick that no one could ever beat me with. I could have made a lot more deals but I look back and am glad I did hold to my principles even if they seem of little value to some. I know I behaved ethically. They are just cars but, boy, do some folk get their knickers in a twist. Often because they are really more interested in the uplift if truth be told. Look how well that worked out as an active participation hobby!

As to the Scoots in discussion, I think I had both come through. The red one might be the one from museum to Chris to Museum to Jason. No doubt Steven knows. If the Frisky is the trike Sport I had that as well.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »
The blue MK1 from Canada that Steven now owns came from Norm Mort who in turn most likely got it from Mario Palma Jr, also in Canada.
Where Mario got it from I don't know.

I suppose I could ask Norm.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »
Thank goodness the Frisky Sport is not a trike as there never was a Frisky Sport trike built by the factory.
Some of the confusion may trace to the fact that owner that Norm Mort bought it from had previously converted an FF3 to a Sport body style before being able to find, and hence start the concourse restoration of the very early style actual Sport that I presently have.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »
Yes I think the Blue scoot came through me.

John Meadows is aware of the trike 'Sport' I had I think. It was a cause of a brief discussion when I had it and effectively was not as 'advertised'. It was a good enough 'car' though. It was a sort of maroon red when I had it. It went to Mario Palma or one of his chums. I found the car in North Worcester as a distressed sale.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 06:29:49 AM »

I too heard that it was a well executed creation.   However I was apparently misinformed as to Mario being its Creator.  Perhaps he cleaned it up a bit instead.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 03:43:01 PM »

Yes I think the Blue scoot came through me.

Is it this one by any chance?  :)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 03:54:06 PM »
9987 UB, that's it.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »
The auction will run its course thank you!!! as stated on the listing.

Well it made nigh on £16k.

Days of the Scoot for pennies are over.
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »
It;s over.
Sold for 15877gbp after sitting at 12650 for 2 days!
The last 90 seconds were very exciting, and especially the last 10 seconds or so as it moved up in bid increments close to 1000 gbp several times.
My guess had been $25k all along, and it translates to almost exactly that amount.  Probably would have fetched even more last year, but cannot arguably be considered  wrong for its current valuation.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 06:28:11 PM »
Glad I bought mine when I fell over them now. I had a feeling this was going to happen. Good for my pocket but probably bad for fun.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »
Well done to the seller.

As my parrot says "That's the way to do it. Pieces of eight ... pieces of eight. Who's a lucky feller?  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »
Good for him. Is this just auction fever though? Two guys who wanted one desperatly bidding agaist each other. Will the next one do as well? Usually once one of something make a high price a few more come out of the woodwork and fail to achieve the same result, well thats how things go in the antiques trade anyway. They deserve to fetch good money as they are rare little beasties!

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33:43 PM »
Good for him. Is this just auction fever though? Two guys who wanted one desperatly bidding agaist each other. Will the next one do as well? Usually once one of something make a high price a few more come out of the woodwork and fail to achieve the same result, well thats how things go in the antiques trade anyway. They deserve to fetch good money as they are rare little beasties!

Well bob my earlier prediction proved correct.  That car was a very generous condition 2.

About time too.  It will be interesting to see if any come up. 

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini