Author Topic: Scootacar Mark 1 - In very nice condition!!!!!  (Read 30815 times)

blob

• Prolific Poster

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Scootacar Mark 1 - In very nice condition!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »

Can't see it !!! :-[

read what it says, enough people reported it so eBay yanked it:

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 10:24:44 AM »
What was it that they saw that needed to be reported and then appropriately yanked?

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »
You can spot over and over  again on eBay, not only vehicles. The original listing that finished with a sale had been copied at some point and then later listed by a scammer hoping to make money out of a nonexistent item. No doubt the second ad was reported to eBay by the seller of the first listing or other vigilant people.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »
You can spot over and over  again on eBay, not only vehicles. The original listing that finished with a sale had been copied at some point and then later listed by a scammer hoping to make money out of a nonexistent item. No doubt the second ad was reported to eBay by the seller of the first listing or other vigilant people.

Very often listed as "classified ads".

Can be good sometimes! Someone listed a schmitt a while ago, and it said "very nice interior by Nick Poll". After it ended, the scamers listed it, so we got twice the ads!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 02:48:22 PM »
What was it that they saw that needed to be reported and then appropriately yanked?

There was a single photo copied from the original listing, plus a starting price of £.99 and in the description lots of talk of how to NOT contact the seller through eBay, but instead use the email address that was posted.  It had a "Buy It Now" price of £3500 which was far less than the sales price of the "real" listing. However, the "Buy It Now" price was in the description, it was not an "official option" in the listing.  So, in other words, you could not simply click "Buy It Now", you had to contact the "seller" first. This alone is a violation of eBay policy.

When I reported it, I simply pointed out the eBay number of the "real" listing to show this was a fake.
How many other people reported it is not known, but I am pretty sure that eBay won't yank stuff on a single report.  When something gets multiple reports, then the item gets flagged for manual review.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
Dear Jim

I think we shall have to re name you Jim Yankedit

Chris Thomas

ohartmanno

• Occasional
  • Atlas Roadster
    • Hartmann photography
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 02:04:59 PM »
till today no other car came out of the woodworks, so may be some predictions were wrong.
How many of these MkI in driveable condition are know to exist today, does anybody know?
few cars but all are running nicely :-)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 07:57:21 AM »
I think you hit the nail on the head. Those with running Scootacars are probably happy men and content to have one of the more usable but weird Microcars. There are some investors who would like to capitalise but the cars are as yet not presentable.

I did not look at the bidders but the clever money would attempt to contact the under bidder and cut out eBay and advertising for a cool sale under cover unless there were more than a couple of interested parties. In this market you get one clean chance to sell on the open market. There after you have been exposed to the market and either have to keep advertising with expecting a diminishing offer over time or change the product on offer in a manifest way to renew impact. Being a rare car it is less likely to get piggy back sales like an expensive Schmitt or Isetta. Also no one put another Scootacar against it which often happens with rare cars. Then neither sells or sells well.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »
I think you hit the nail on the head. Those with running Scootacars are probably happy men and content to have one of the more usable but weird Microcars. There are some investors who would like to capitalise but the cars are as yet not presentable.

I did not look at the bidders but the clever money would attempt to contact the under bidder and cut out eBay and advertising for a cool sale under cover unless there were more than a couple of interested parties. In this market you get one clean chance to sell on the open market. There after you have been exposed to the market and either have to keep advertising with expecting a diminishing offer over time or change the product on offer in a manifest way to renew impact. Being a rare car it is less likely to get piggy back sales like an expensive Schmitt or Isetta. Also no one put another Scootacar against it which often happens with rare cars. Then neither sells or sells well.

They made 800 Mk1's.   Perhaps 50 survive?  (an estimate. anyone have any register info as to what's left?)  Unlike a Peel they were used in period.   Unlike a KR/Trienkel/Isetta some parts are hard work.   But you can get round that with some ingenuity.

I'm surprised not one Scoot has come on the market.   I know many Peel owners and none will sell. I was also told never sell a Scoot or Peel unless you have bought a better one first.  

To me they bridge the gap between a Peel and a German micro.  They're quite horrid in some ways but very endearing.   Who would test drive a KR etc in '59 and buy a Scoot?  So unrefined and the vibration is hard work.  No front damping. But they are quite quick.

Perhaps some staunch Brits were determined to buy British.  The brochure highlights this.  Scoots are very heath robinson in some ways.

I do not expect a flush of Scoots to come on the market.  I do expect the owners to keep them in slumber.  

At the end of the day they are excellent weird machines.  Hmm?  a bag of money or a Scoot?   I'll take the latter!

I must fix mine actually!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:19:51 PM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »
The bottom line is, anything small round and cute is going to rise in value, nothing new really!

ohartmanno

• Occasional
  • Atlas Roadster
    • Hartmann photography
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 07:07:51 PM »
Thank you for your comments! Fifty out of 800 does not sound a lot that have survived - I guess most of them in your country. Usually on Ebay I see only projects for restauration. It seems to be rare that a driveable car like this is on offer. I like the Scoota as well very much, beautiful and unusual shape and very driveable and rare. They seem to have increased in value a lot during the last years, nevertheless these seem to be good  preconditions for a safe and good investment...
few cars but all are running nicely :-)

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
Thank you for your comments! Fifty out of 800 does not sound a lot that have survived - I guess most of them in your country. Usually on Ebay I see only projects for restauration. It seems to be rare that a driveable car like this is on offer. I like the Scoota as well very much, beautiful and unusual shape and very driveable and rare. They seem to have increased in value a lot during the last years, nevertheless these seem to be good  preconditions for a safe and good investment...

Please don't quote me at 50.  It was just a guess. But they were worthless in the 60's and 70's and just thrown away. The Scootacar was only sold in the UK.  Never exported officially.  The floors and chassis rotted badly and there is steel bonded to the fibreglass too. This is tricky to fix correctly. A really rotten Scootacar will have a rotten shelf/inner front panels and seat box.  Coupled with no availability of kingpins and the special rear sprocket you were going up a dead end quest.  Also there is one special track rod out of the four that would be a MOT failure in the day if worn out....

I love the shape too.  Especially looking straight at the back.  The prototype had no flared front wheel arches and was unstable.  So the track was widened as a solution.  It looks fantastic from all angles.

If a road legal Scootacar Mk1 (or pile of parts) comes up on Ebay you will be bidding against global collectors I would assume.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:48:33 PM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 06:14:35 PM »
Dear friends

This has appeared on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320885200671&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:GB:1123

it looks like the same car now being sold from Hemel Hempstead for a buy me now price of  £3500 when it originally sold in November 2011 for £15877

Is it me or is something wrong!

Chris Thomas