Author Topic: number plates type and bracketry ?  (Read 8525 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: number plates type and bracketry ?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 09:09:36 AM »
thanks friends - mocking it up does help a lot i will have to measure it up and check , but that does look better than i feared it would.

a quick check on the net shows that legally the letters pre '64 should be 3 1/2" high - i make that 87.5mm ( could probably get away with post '64 and go with 3 1/8" - 79mm

if i can get away with pre '73 motorcycle plates the size of the letters reduces to 62.5 mm - a big difference - but would it now look to small !!

out with the measure
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:28:25 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 09:28:34 AM »
anyway the last time i saw FCM 820 in the flesh it had big ugly plates too !  :)

No, I dont think so. It would have had the standard size plate on the back but I used it with no plate at all on the front for some years. It was like that when we drove to Story as I recall. The little front plate came later. In this other pic of RCM 820 is that your Gordon in the background?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 09:34:12 AM »
bob - i was hoping you would not mention cars spotted in the background - embarassing as the Gordon has only just progressed passed this stage - very recently ! but it will be on the road THIS YEAR !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
Well it was pay back time Richard for pointing out a certain project accidently seen in a photo I recenly posted! HO Ho!!
About your only windscreen in the world, would it not be prudent to call by at Pilkingtons, Isle of Sheppey next time your down south and get another made from it ? With a toughened sceen, once they shatter they are gone for good. I think I would have a laminated one made and use that.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »
where on earth is the isle of sheppey. it's not a bad idea though  ;)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
Dear Richard

I met Pilkingtons Commercial Director at the classic motor show and he was quite up for us doing a factory visit if we could get a group together. It would have to be a week day.

If they have the template then the windscreen is quite economical. If not they will make a template and make it to order, which is slightly more expensive. If you look on thir web site you should be able to see all the ones they do.

If anybody would like me to organise a factory trip I am prepared to be the go between.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »
Chris, I have to go visit them at some stage to get a screen made so would be up for a tour, it may smooth the way for my unusual order. I think the likelyhood of them having a template for a Brutcsh Pifel is remote to say the least but who knows!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 08:21:36 PM »
Herr Bruetsch would i am sure have used a readily available off the shelf , carefully  :) , windscreen - but off what as it would have almost certainly been German .

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 09:08:14 PM »
I reasoned in the same way about the Tourette windscreen, never did find out what Carr brother used though. We may both be wrong, it may have been just as easy to have a bespoke small batch made to order. Some of the screens on these plastic creations remind me of the screens found on speed boats from the period, food for thought.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »
i did hear mention , was it al, that it might possibly be a Renault Dauphine , rear screen . no idea if it looks like one though

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 10:08:12 PM »
Hi Richard
               The Renault Dauphine rear screen was for the Goggo Dart.
                                                                                                              Mike

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
hi mike
there you you might unknowingly have hit the nail on the head . goggo dart - bruetsch dart surely no coincidence

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
the small plates are motorbike plates - totally legal on a three wheeler, as is not having a plate on display at the front as per Bob's cream/yellow schmitt.

I have the original pressed alloy ones on my car - but the front one is a curved plate as you would once have had attached to the front mudguard for slicing pedestrians in two with!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »
where on earth is the isle of sheppey. it's not a bad idea though  ;)

Its near Mikey?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs