Author Topic: Bruetsch badge casting ?  (Read 8555 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Bruetsch badge casting ?
« on: November 20, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »
do we know of anyone who could cast me another Pfeil badge ? i now realise there should be one on each front wing , also having this script is there a computer programme , or suchlike , that could predict other letters in this same typeface ? in order to make up a script reading the word Bussard - just a thought .
lastly my BRUETSCH cast aluminium badge is 360mm long are the ones on mopettas the same size ?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:34:25 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: Bruetsch badge casting ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:04:11 PM »
Is the badge completely flat or are there angled sides (draft) from casting.

I was thinking along the lines:-

Scan the existing badge to get a bitmap file on the computer.
Use CorelDraw (or similar) to trace the outline as a vector graphic.
Or - draw around the outline using a graphics package - Adobe Illustrator. (or draw in 2D CAD - harder)

You end up with a perfect outline.

Use this to create a file for laser cutting a suitable sheet material.

This will look like a pressing rather than a casting but it could be hand fettled (Bob's your man) to resemble a casting.

Just a thought

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:50:31 PM »
thanks barry i will try and think on that one - not my line  ???
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:24:45 PM »
I have 8,000 fonts available.
I don't think that the Pfeil logo is a font.  I think it is a graphic drawing - hand generated.  

There are thousands of fonts now because it is easy to create them for computers.  There are new ones every week. (variations on a theme)

In the good old days, when printing was done using type set zinc figures, hand set by type setters, the number of available fonts was quite limited.
Much more common for special badges and headings to be hand generated.

If it is a font, it will be very old and if not particularly common / popular it may never have been converted for use on computers.

Can you scan the badge or get a really good photo of it at high resolution.  Photo taken from a couple of meters away - to avoid distortion of the image.  From that I could make a good computer line drawing.

I knocked-up a now obsolete blue & yellow sticker from the 1960's for my scooter friend.  He had a photo of the old one on the side of his glove box.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:42:16 PM by Barry »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »
Why not just get it cast? Lost wax would be ideal but not cheap but then I don't suppose the high tech route would be either.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:35:26 AM »
Well that's more what I was thinking of Bob but does anyone know of anyone ?

li.ob.86

• Occasional
    • Linus Öberg - Formbestämmare
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »
If the sides are not sloped and if the vectors can be done by oneself or a friend, I wouldn't be too surprised if lost wax is more expensive than laser cutting.
Regarding the brütsch sign, it seems reasonable that they would have been the same size since scaling wasn't done in a heartbeat back in the day. I can't give you any exact numbers but I can measure on the model I'm working on and give you an estimate if that's good enough.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
I believe it means Arrow or Dart - or Tourette  ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »
I used to use these people before the son took over from the father and then all the prices went up! It may be worth having a chat with them though.

http://www.collierwebbfoundry.com/foundry-services/

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 09:40:47 AM »
Just had another thought, you can do cold castings yourself at home, its something I played around with in the 1980's. Basically its powdered metal bound in resin, if you use a high proportion of metal powder the effect is very metalic looking and even polishes up. I made a badge for Steves Reliant Ant using it. You make a mould with melt and pour rubber. This may not be good enough for you Richard but just thought it worth mentioning.

http://www.eagerplastics.com/coldcast.htm

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:09:30 AM »
Thanks will look these up tonight

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
I used to use these people before the son took over from the father and then all the prices went up! It may be worth having a chat with them though.

http://www.collierwebbfoundry.com/foundry-services/

I used these people to make a copy of an engine fan for Jean's Gordon in around 2003 when they had a small works in Hooe, East Sussex.
 Sorry the photos are bad! The copy is on the right.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »
Ah That must have been when Cedric Collier was still working, he had a furnace at home in Hooe. His son had ambitions of taking it from a father and son set up to a bigger concern and I think he has accomplished that but it's resulted in small one off jobs being priced out of viability. The last time I used them was to make a batch of fender Stratocaster shaped belt buckles. I still have the lost wax mould and a bag full of unfinished buckles, it wasn't a successful venture! This is the plug I made for the mould and serves as my buckle. Silver plated and in need of a polish!

piatti

• Chatty
    • Rollermobilclub Schweiz
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »
lastly my BRUETSCH cast aluminium badge is 360mm long are the ones on mopettas the same size ?

I don't have the measurement in mind, but I'm pretty sure it is smaller then 360mm.
Rollermobilclub Schweiz
www.rollermobilclub.ch