Author Topic: Biscooter  (Read 8629 times)

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
Biscooter
« on: February 02, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C414160

Two for sale in France. Are there any in the UK? Haven't seen any at the National.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Biscooter
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »
Hate to pedantic but they were built as Biscuter why do people know them as Biscooter - I know I know but for reference sake any serious info on google should turn up on the correct spelling. - not aimed at you at all Wilksie but the advertiser . I like them but have no experience of them , for some reason I expect them to be very 2CV like . Do they really fetch that price ? I see they also have a Fram King for sale
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:40:13 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »
Hi Richard, if you read the Voisin story in RUMCAR NEWS you will see both spellings are correct, it depends on the age of the vehicle as I understand it! Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »
scuter...Spanish. scooter...English
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »
I did check the spelling on Wikipedia before I posted my message, as I too was more familiar with the 'Biscuter' spelling. The car originated in France in the late 40s, built by Voisin, and called the "Biscooter'. From 1953 it was licensed to a Spanish firm in Barcelona. The changed the spelling to 'Biscuter', more in keeping with Spanish custom.

It is how the French vendor spells his car(s) for sale. Correctly, against my initial doubts. Interestingly
3-wheeler/dot/com hasn't listed it at all.

Let nobody say that the RUMcars Forum isn't a source of knowledge!

Right, I need to tend to my Noble 200 now!
Lloyd LP400

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 04:48:52 PM »
... Interestingly 3-wheeler/dot/com hasn't listed it at all ...

Perhaps because it has four wheels? ;)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 04:49:04 PM »
Dear Wilksie

The reason it is not on 3 wheeler .com is because they never made a three wheeler Biscuter or Biscooter.

To my knowledge there is at least one Biscuter that resides in the British Isles.

If ever you get the chance to drive one it is worth the opportunity. It is not like a 2 CV as the suspension is not soft and wollowy, It is just very different to any other Villiers engine vehicle.

There will be a bit more on the Biscuter in the next edition of RCN.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »
look forward to it chris - i believe your expecting something Gordon too - oh crikey thinking cap on
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »
Good point about the four wheels. As I said I don't think I have ever seen one, but I could have checked the photos a bit more closely.

Regarding spelling, I believe I got away with the deliberate mistake in my second post.
Lloyd LP400

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
Well you got one past the headmaster as I still can't spot it ! Have been through it with my red crayon and I can only see a missing y or n from the end of the . Do tell

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
So are these Biscuters in France or French Biscooters, which I assume will be far rarer? I must export my car and sell it from Spain as the only Scutercar. Confused, you will be.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:35 AM »
Well you got one past the headmaster as I still can't spot it ! Have been through it with my red crayon and I can only see a missing y or n from the end of the . Do tell

That was the inadvertent mistake.

But I'll give you a hint: We were talking about the spelling of microcar names.
Lloyd LP400

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »
Regarding spelling, I believe I got away with the deliberate mistake in my second post.

Well, it was nobel of you to admit it!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 06:30:27 PM »
I though they were called Biscuiter because they were made from recycled biscuit tins. Happily the book Chris has recently translated has dispelled any such illusions - I can very highly recommend this new version of the book, which explains why a car which was initiated in France was quickly sidelined there and yet went on to take a similar level of popularity in Spain as the Bond Minicar did in the UK.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 07:21:49 PM »
Dear Malcolm

Have you managed to read it all, or are you cherry picking your way through?

Glad you have enjoyed reading it.

Chris Thomas