Author Topic: Bond on ebay  (Read 16391 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Bond on ebay
« on: March 02, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »
a nice project but untouched for 50 years - i don't think so . when did they start to fit green sunstrips to windscreens ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bond-Minicar-1959-Mark-F-Villiers-250-cc-engine-Rare-complete-barn-find-/281277264759#ht_342wt_1156
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: Bond on ebay
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
a nice project but untouched for 50 years - i don't think so . when did they start to fit green sunstrips to windscreens ?

50 years ago was only 1964. That's when I "did up" my Mk C. You could buy green plastic to stick onto your windscreen. How could you remember it? You were only a baby!  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 08:59:24 AM »
Yep. They were all the rage long before I was even driving. By the time I passed my test in the early seventies the trend of spelling ones name in white letters under the strip was in. The sellers estimate of almost fifty years cant be too far out. 

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:31:44 AM »
i can't remember as well as you old guys , or perhaps i've forgotten , thought it was a 70's thing  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
i can't remember as well as you old guys , or perhaps i've forgotten , thought it was a 70's thing  :)
Nah 70s thing was thinking that such decorative flourishes were customizing and would add to the cars top speed.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
i do remember Starsky and Hutch cars with just a little "go faster stripe " down the side but always worried if i fitted them and one peeled off would i be stuck going around in circles ?

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »
I have (somewhere) a colour pic of my Mk G Tourer, taken at Morecambe in 1966 and - yep! - it has a tinted band at the top of the screen.

I've found the copy of Bond Info which showed it on the front - but that's in B&W and rather poor resolution, so I can't yet confirm whether the band was green (or what the lettering said).

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 09:18:32 PM »
Found i!t - how do I insert an image, please?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »
hi dave in very simple language ( presumably the image is in your pictures ) reply to this as you would normally and outside the message box at the bottom click on attachments and other options - you then get the browse command , browse your pics select the one and then press post . i hope thats correct .........

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »
hi dave in very simple language ( presumably the image is in your pictures ) reply to this as you would normally and outside the message box at the bottom click on attachments and other options - you then get the browse command , browse your pics select the one and then press post . i hope thats correct .........
Mmmm ... that's what I guessed, and did.  The post never appeared.  When I sent it again, the system warned that I'd already sent it.  Strange. :o

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 10:27:58 PM »
Come on then dave give it another try

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 09:25:04 AM »
OK, second attempt ...

Red G Tourer in centre of line-up is nowadays mine, as taken in 1966 - with a green tint-strip.  The lettering (I have another pic from a different angle) is the timeless slogan "You Can't Beat a BOND".
I confirmed the date by examining the long "Illuminations" poster at top left:  it says the switch on, on Friday 13 August, would be by Roger Moore.  Morecambe's publicity office (by almost instant email reply to me!) confirmed that he did the switch-on in 1965 (and I checked: 13 August was indeed a Friday in 1965).  As  the poster is faded and torn, it would be for the previous illuminations, so this event was the 1966 one  :)

The photo also shows the existence in 1966 of screen-top lettering, on the red-hooded Mark D, in second position.  The first bit says "Slough", so I'm guessing the second bit said something like "BOC".

It's good to see that, at this rally, people not properly dressed in suit and tie were kept in the area behind the cars!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:27:06 AM by DaveMiller »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
Dear Dave
Excellent deductions
It is interesting to see that the Mk G Tourer has a completely different windscreen. Could it be a Triumph Herald windscreen?

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »
Perfect for the Ebay car green strip message is 'You can F off too'.

What?

'There is no such thing as a dirty book, its just the way you read it'. The Late Sensational Alex Harvey.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
It is interesting to see that the Mk G Tourer has a completely different windscreen. Could it be a Triumph Herald windscreen?

I think all Mk G screens used the same glass (not known to come from any other car), but the Tourer differed from the Saloon, Van and Estate by having the metal bar across the top (and fixed, rather than opening, quarter-lights).