Author Topic: Peel P50 and 1st owner in 1975.  (Read 6995 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Peel P50 and 1st owner in 1975.
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:05:10 PM »
Just found these 110 size negatives of the Peel with the first owner who bought it new in 1964,  I bought for £10 in 1975 when I took the pictures, got it running and sprayed it Jaguar Regency Red in '76. The colour of the photos are awful as later I dropped the camera and the film fell out!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:27:42 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Peel P50 and 1st owner in 1975.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 03:30:16 PM »
Ha ! I expect you will get hate mail and threats from Peel owners , old and new  ;) , - hardly the COOL image they are after :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:26:53 PM »
I have had a quick play with your photos at low res.  With a higher res original scan we could come up with something half decent.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »
Well done Barry. Thank you. The two photos are from a batch of 161 shots of my vehicles that have just been " professionally" put on a DVD disc at a high cost to myself. Why couldn't they have done that?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:36:13 PM by Rob Dobie »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »
Rob
The file size of the pictures you posted are quite small.  Are all those on your CD the same size?
I have a new A4 scanner which can scan negs and slides.  I am just playing with the settings right now.
I would be happy to have a bash with your Peel photos just to see what can be achieved quickly.
I won't be able to get rid of the faded colour around the outside but should be able to improve on my first attempt from your small files.

Attached - another slide from my farmer down the road.  From a 1960's faded slide.

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »
Hello Rob
Thanks for posting these pictures. I've copied them onto the Rum database They're exactly what I need. I've been trying to get people to supply early photos (any photos!!!) of their cars so that I can build a photographic archive to compliment the vehicle data on file.
I have one photo on file showing your car in Regency Red and I've tried to post it in this thread but I can find no way to do it without first posting it somehere else on the internet. Is it just me or an I missing someting?

Thanks again
Alastair 

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:21:21 AM »
Alastair
I keep most of my microcar photos in registration number order, that wayold photos often tie-up with new ones of the same car.

For instance - Peel P50

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u4uar0gv278uoed/LnKLQa8nsE

Barry

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »
With the original negs a big Mac should be able to pull out most of the tint for very little loss of clarity. That is because there is still more information in the image than can be digitalized. We were doing this back in the late '80's, though the machine was humongous in those days. That firm was bought by Saachi after they produced a scanned and printed image of a Degas painting off the proofing press. Did a limited edition of a 100 copies if I recall. I preferred the Christmas card of their receptionist in a pram being pushed by the Queen. Very early perfect picture splicing to swap heads and scale. Pretty ordinary computers can do this now but the really good programs can re-write history. So you really cannot believe what you see in the papers anymore.
Its back to time. It takes the operator time to manipulate each scan to maximize it. That is chargeable. Such is the overhead on labour these days time cost an awful lot of money. So far I have probably saved £10,000 in bought time and tax by doing up the house myself. The downside is its taken me three months to do half the house. But effectively this year I will have 'earned' £20,000, tax free, by doing the place myself. I would have needed to earn some £27k after direct and indirect tax to have achieved that too. Thats about a Schmitt and a half! Sadly you cannot afford to put jobs out if you can do them yourself anymore. It just is not cost effective.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
Hello Rob  Thanks for posting these pictures. I've copied them onto the Rum database They're exactly what I need.

Hello Alastair,

I have sent you a E-mail.

Rob.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »
Ha ! I expect you will get hate mail and threats from Peel owners , old and new  ;) , - hardly the COOL image they are after :)

Oh Richard, not every one can be lithe and horny, draping themselves over a car.

Margaret was a very intelligent head mistress of a girls school in Bexhill until she bought the Peel, one of the first,  number D506. She turned it over a few days later and then left it in her back garden.

When I heard that she had 'a Messerschmitt' hidden away and asked about it. She said "no I haven't but come round my back passage and see what I have got hidden there!"  Honest  :-[  ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:52:24 PM by Rob Dobie »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 04:41:18 PM »
Its heartening for builders of Peel copies that the originals fell over when first used too. Its traditional, then. Was that Margaret Fritton?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 10:35:09 PM »
Barry, i would be interested to hear what type of printer/scanner you have?
I need to stop buying!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 05:51:22 AM »
It is not a full professional model, more a high end home use but it had lots of good reviews.

Epson Perfection  V550 Photo    £184

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ECBRW5E/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1

Barry

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 06:52:02 AM »
Need a fast chip and a good lot of memory for shunting the information through. I do not recal what Saachi paid 30 years ago, it was millions in more valuable money. To get something that approaches the finish for less than £200? Progress does exist.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 07:16:27 AM »
I do have a fairly high-end computer for graphics work.

The scanner comes with 'Ice' dust removal which works well.  An infra-red scan picks up any remaining dust on the film, remembers where it is and then fills in the small areas with local colour.

It has some colour correction modes etc. but I use an additional cheap program called ACDSee 15 to carry out colour correction, tones, cropping, straightening and file size reduction etc.  also simple repairs.
I use ACDSee Photo Editor for serious repairs to photos.  Not invested in Photoshop yet.

Happy to help with scans if time permits.