Author Topic: Church Pod moves on, one left  (Read 4647 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Church Pod moves on, one left
« on: May 24, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
After many suiters who failed to come up with an offer the Church Pod project looks to be splitting up into individual cars and the intellectual and manufacturing rights in the end.

A buyer has come forward for the 2nd car, which is pretty much complete with a donor Honda 250cc scooter, minus only the front suspension and brakes/hubs, Messerschmitt with Vespa disc hubs conversion recommended, of the major components. A absolute bargain in my opinion, but there we are.

Thus I will in all probability retain the Prototype for the moment. Not least as affords the buyer the option of looking at how the original was put together. Besides I still think it offers a modern take on Schmitting, as its design uses much of that car. So the handling is similar, but it stops so much better and has loads of excess power. It is much more of a microcar than much that is being created these days. My main issue with it is being to fat to get in it easily. Indeed you need to be reasonably lithe to insert your legs into the very strong spaceframe chassis with such a long raked screen. I am loath to turn it into a sports version with no top, but it could work. This car is registered and has been used on the road.

There remains a 3rd set of parts, being a chassis set, a once fitted body with sidescreens and some other parts. Never bought a donor for this one. The other two Pods offer 180cc 2 stroke or 400cc Burgman set ups, my two have Honda Foresite 250cc. Just about any front ended scrap scooter will fit. You need the wiring, key if with ECU and the dash and controls if available, though personal choice might mean not using them. Certainly my car is on pedal controls rather than twist grips. With the handlebars, there is a choice. Yours for a very cheap £400, cost near £1,000 retail at the time and inflation has occurred since . You can have the rights as well if you wish to negotiate. I would expect a handy person to be roadworthy for within £1,500. What other Microcar can offer you that with sensible performance?

I believe new suspension can be sourced from the MOC. Rubber inserts and axle sets.Russ sold his tooling into Germany, so they are now supplying parts to Russell's specs. He took care to get the sure hardness correct, including the option for Tigers, of which I have several sets fortunately. Not sure what stock the MOC might have. They had Brian Perry/Russell Church front axle pairs and were looking at making their own rubber inserts, subsequent to failure to provide insurance or a legal order form thus extending the MOC insurance cover to protect an enthusiast working on the behalf of a limited liability organization. It was this lack of support and protection from possible damages claims, and the one sided risk ever offered after, that began Russ's departure from constructing some of the best quality, and value, parts made for Schmitters world wide, inside or outside the MOC. A great loss all round. While I sourced enough units from the factory door, direct from Russ, for my future use, I have not the spares, nor will I break my word to Russ, to offer them on privately until he releases me from that bond. The only thing we agreed I could sell are some Tiger seat kits I bought from him when he was clearing out his remaining stock. He could not be bothered to do them again despite having all the parts.

Of course a second hand suspension sets will do just as well, preferably with new rubber inserts. The Vespa stuff is available new at reasonable prices or second hand. You will need a Schmitt king pin yolk to mount your new assembly on using the esimple Schmitt available king pin design.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Church Pod moves on, one left
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:35:21 AM »
al i think you make assumptions , when you post , that we all know where you are coming from . i think it fairly likely that most if not nearly all on the forum have little or no idea what a church pod is . it might all just be one of your spoofs and not to be taken seriously at all - am i wrong ?
http://www.rra-arch.com/downloads/churchpods.pdf
i just googled church pod microcar and this was one of the entries near the top - i didnt look much further
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:38:45 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
What a shame you didn't look further instead of jumping to conclusions.

From 2009: http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=1825.0
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
NO ROB ! i know what the car/project is , i never said i didn't ! i just mean that al is is so well informed on most micro affairs that he rarely introduces a subject at all . He , i think , assumes too much . I did what anyone might do if unaware of the subject - i googled . how would i know to google any further ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »
I am afraid it is a deliberate sales ploy. Must show Russell what his Pods turned into! I am only interested in talking to a potential buyer who has made the effort to educate himself on what is available. I long since gave up talking to the dreamers and idiots who will waste hours of your time asking stupid questions with no intention of buying the car for sale. See Ebay auctioning for an example. I learned this from Mike Cooper when he ran the 2CV Centre. It seems very wrong, but it works realy well, leaving your time to devote to more rewarding activities. Let the customers make the initial running. Most knobs get bored and do not pursue the deal, leaving 90% serious punters to talk to. Might be zero punters, but at least you know that the knowledgeable are not interested.

There are at least two threads and some pictures of Pods on this forum. So like I say, self selection by education. As to other topics, maybe so, but if folk do not keep up with at least the car related stuff, that is not my prob. I get 95% of what is talked about but I am no genius. Marcus and Bob often come up with things I have to research to understand. Your own historical pics, Richard, likewise stand research, if there is anything to glean. But normally you already found it.
Tangent comments, well they are what they are and an explanation of a joke is never as funny as the original event. I know you have a very good sense of humour but it does not extend to the infra red of some of my quips, as perhaps I do not do ultra violet of yours.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:29:34 PM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 01:42:06 PM »
well i guess that answers my point very well al , you are addressing the informed or those who will be bothered to get so - i get your point . as a simple salesman i would have thought best to inform upfront - then again you have the more experience with selling to the public , i only have within trade - very different  ;)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 07:07:32 AM »
Having now physically sorted out the chassis set for Pod 2, I find Pod 3 has a nigh on complete set of chassis parts, as it should have done. Had I known that I would have been asking more as what is on offer would have retailed at £850 odd. So its even more of a bargain now as it should be up at £425 at least. Add donor scooter and the only big bit missing is the Messerschmitt front suspension, which can be got new, possibly with Vespa discs available at reasonable prices second hand. Comes down to if anyone wants such a project as it clearly is not for everyone.