Author Topic: opperman unicars how many are there left  (Read 9959 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: opperman unicars how many are there left
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »
we seem oddly to have Weiner , Weger and now Weager , we have to be careful of spelling on this item . The blue one at Jeans , is that the Opperman family car then ? i wonder why they are usually painted such awful colours . The pale blue one seems the most attractive but i could imagine the cars looking an awful lot better in pale metallic blue just for example .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 08:43:40 PM »
We have seven on the Register.
With regard to names Ken Weger is in America and Leo Weager is British.
 XWT 532  thought to be in Canada is in Great Britain according to the Register..
YFG 843  in America
548 FKE is the Opperman family car.
109 BUO (Blue/Grey)was in Holland
959 GMA (Cream/Green) on loan to Hammond Collection
B254VLJ  (Blue) at Open Day from SWLondon
NHM338  (Maroon) Owner unknown
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:04:22 PM by Jean »
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »
okay so two Wegers but no Weager then .

oh and by the way how did the open day car end up with modern number plates and that AWFUL modern number !!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:56:10 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »
Dear Richard

I asked the owner of the blue Unicar why the B reg number plate, he says previous owner sold the number plate as it was worth more than the car. When it was re registered they did not apply for an age related plate, hence the later plate.

Chris Thomas

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 10:34:19 PM »
Do not follow the age related bit as they have made the car newer by registration than it is, Swansea normally allocate a non transferable age related number
You normally cannot put a number on a vehicle which would make the vehicle seem newer very odd
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »
 Just what I was about to say Gary. Up to the introduction of Prefix reg numbers in August 1983, a car COULD be given a current-year plate if an "appropriate year" number wasn't specifically asked for. (They weren't called age-related yet at this point). But after August 1983 and the introduction of prefix numbers, and up to 1990 it should have been automatically given an A-suffix plate reading XXX 999A (I call these the Age-Related-A plate), or if very unlucky, a Q-plate! I've certainly never came across another case of an old vehicle being given a current-year number after August 1983. Very odd indeed, but of course the odd abnormality does sometimes turn up in British motor vehicle registrations throughout history, which is why I do love the whole world of British number plates and vehicle registrations.  :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 09:18:59 AM »
So there would seem to be a few more out there still.

Somewhere I will have the registration of the Groomfondle car recorded. I am pretty certain I know where it went. However it was Groomfondle that accepted the deal and that was mainly at fault having accepted and invoiced payment for it and the missing Bond. It was he the suffered the consequences of trying to rip me off. The poaching of cars from other peoples deals has long been an activity of niche markets. Indeed my buying out Groomfondle itself is classed as poaching by some who claim right by prior knowledge, so it depends who you talk too. As it happens Groomfondle approached us for the major clear out. I am not sure anyone else would have made as much effort to get it all away baring in mind the early visitors had nicked all the good bits, either.

Are the dead local cars still there? Might follow them up, a drive by will probably tell, though I put new mate, Ian, onto one of them, as the Gordon for sale earlier in the year wasn't in the end, even for £5k (Burks?). Anyway Ian has a car now so is probably no longer interested.

Seem to recall word of another in Herefordshire and I think Morris Rose had one through his registrations business. At the time he was not selling to me. Further suggestion is up Tyneside where I recall talk, again possible involving number plate trading, Brian Hindle? If so Allan Forster had an in to that scene. There were a load of mouldering Isettas too. Then again it maybe the same car.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »
- have you been on the sherry jean 

Sadly not Richard and you will see I have now amended my post to make myself a little clearer. Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »
me too jean we can now delete these last two messages