Author Topic: French microcars blog  (Read 15599 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
French microcars blog
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:12:41 PM »
Just been looking at Donald La Bian's restoration blog again. For anyone not aware of this, its well worth a look. French microcars from the golden age, not fridges!  Some very exotic. Is the Avolette not one of the most wonderful looking microcars ever?

http://donald.over-blog.com/

Can I recommend page 26 for rare shots of the scanty Avolette frame with body off.

VIEW THE BLOG AT YOUR OWN RISK. One member reported pop up problems.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:22:41 PM by Bob Purton »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: French microcars blog
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:23:06 PM »
Good site, cheers Bob.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »
I tried to watch this blog but unfortunately the following message came up on my screen   

Access to the web page was blocked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. The web page is on the list of websites with potentially dangerous content.

Has any one else experienced this problem? Jean

Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:29:08 PM »
thanks Bob lovely images , agree about the Bruetsch Avolette  :) seen before i know but these two share just that bit of " je ne sais quoi "  ? but the Avolette wins I think  ;)

as regards Jean , no I am not aware of this problem but my French is very poor  :-[
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:13 PM »
I had no trouble and no message.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 08:38:39 PM »
I tried but cannot reproduce any of the pictures here but that is the oddest steering arrangement . Cable I presume ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:08:24 PM »
Yes, I cant figure that steering out either. A curved steering column so it must have a flexible inner core that perhaps has a worm on the end ?  Does anyone know?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:07:33 PM »
here is a picture of the frame, A reasonable view of the steering too if you can enlarge it a little.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:14:07 PM by Bob Purton »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 11:33:30 PM »
Jean: the message probably came from the anti-virus software that you are using.

I noticed that, while the blog contents were themselves interesting, there were also various "adverts" on the page which would not be what they claimed to be. (One, I recall, talked about software now being ready, and gave a button to "restart your PC" - hardly what would come up on a webpage itself.)

Though I don't think I clicked anywhere on the blog, apart from to scroll the page, it was only a few minutes after viewing the blog that I received a notification saying "You have received a f**k request, at distance 2.5 miles" - plus a link I could click to get an app which, I suppose, would further that pursuit.

I suggest the link be removed.

[Full word changed to use asterisks, to protect the sensitive]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:04:15 AM by DaveMiller »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 08:23:34 AM »
No problems here, but I have a Mac and they are less prone to viruses.

As the column is curved in all  axes I can only assume it has a flexible drive inside. You can get these for drills and other power tools. They tend to be made of one (small drives) or two layers of coiled square section steel with the core wound clockwise and the outer wound ant-clockwise (or vice-versa). The windings look a bit like the outer windings of a Bowden cable, but instead of one or two steel strips at a shallow angle along the length, the multiple strips give a much higher "thread" angel.

It would work for but would not be cheap and probably less good than having mechanical linkages or gears. The curves are relatively large so the friction build up will not be too bad, and on such a light vehicle, backlash /flex in the flexible drive shaft would probably not be too bad bad I would imagine a certain amount of "wander" anyway!

Either they had a good supplier of flexi drives, or (most likely) space and ergonomics ruled out mechanical or geared steering.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »
In the light of Dave's post maybe I should add, view Donalds blog at your own risk.

Yes, it is a very weird steering set up but as they say, the French dont do things quite the same way as anyone else.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »
i think this must have the French answer to Egon Bruetsch's steering column here seen in his Zwerg ( Dwarf )  that later became the Avolette

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »
and this was the set up on my Bruetsch Pfeil ( Dart/Arrow) though not sure if original

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 10:32:51 AM »
I just cannot see how they could have got Universal joints into the avolette's slender curved column.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »
I don't suggest that for a minute , surely it was changed as you described