Author Topic: NOBEL SUSPENSION  (Read 2577 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
NOBEL SUSPENSION
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »
Has anyone successfully used a substitute coil over shock on a Nobel? Mine are so rusty and old there is no way of telling if the shock absorbers are working at all! Surely all Nobels cannot be running on there original shockers? Can anyone help me out here?

Smart51

• Chatty
Re: NOBEL SUSPENSION
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:00:31 PM »
Kit cars run on adjustable dampers.  They're not small though.  1.9" ID springs are a common size to give you an idea.  Lengths depend on damper travel.  From memory, the smallest is about 7" in length when closed and 8" when open.  Each extra 1/2" of stroke adds 1" to the closed length.  Springs start at 80 lbs/in and go upwards.  The dampers have a dial on the side to make them softer or firmer.  You will get what you want this way, if you have enough room.

Someone else might know of a damper and spring from a scooter or bike that just happens to be an ideal replacement.  This will probably be cheaper.

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 11:53:49 PM »
When I was running my 1967 Acedes Model 67, I needed to replace the front suspension unit for the MoT.  I removed the worn-out original and paid a visit to my local back-street bike breaker who had a shelf full of second-hand units, one of which was a perfect match.  Might be worth a try?
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:13:01 PM »
Hagon Shocks in Essex (http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk) are happy to assemble one-off bike shocks to order and are generally helpful on choosing spring rates and damping.  As they make spring/damper units to fit even Honda monkey bikes (well, ST70s), size should not be a problem.

Andrew

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »
Thanks chaps, all suggestions noted and appreciated , Hagons are just down the road in Hainault and I have used them before for my Italian bikes, I will have a word with them. Adjustables are an option but as noted by Smart51 an expensive one and will not look of the period, maybe as a last resort.  I was hoping that someone had found something off another car of the period that happens to fit and have roughly the same travel and spring tension.

Keep the ideas coming please!