Author Topic: Wanted: messerschmitt ashtray  (Read 15435 times)

Ollie

• Chatty
Wanted: messerschmitt ashtray
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:07:16 AM »
Hello All,
I have 2 holes in my side panel which are driving me mad in my kr200 were a messerschmitt ashtray was screwed in in the past..now missing!!.
I'm looking to find another one to cover these holes and keep it looking original  :) ..Anyone have one for sale ?
Kind regards
Ollie

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Wanted: messerschmitt ashtray
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:41:44 PM »
hello ollie you asked for an ashtray - i offerred you one ! what you should have posted was I WANT A CHEAP MESSERSCHMITT ASHTRAY

you didnt even reply to me - not impressed
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:15:26 AM »
As opposed to "wanted - expensive KR ashtray"

hehe

wanted ads always make me smile

here's one or two,

wanted - brutsch mopetta -  will px cash and '93 rialto for right car

peel wanted - must be low mileage (yeah i know no speedo) fmdsh and original unmessed condition throughout - above trade price paid

;D
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:09:51 AM »
 Think Andy Carter makes facsimiles.

Even the dark brown ashtrays are going to be about £60. White ones more, have paid £75 for a rare new one, though they are not normal correct for a Schmitt. You can tell by the mountings. Most were for VW/Porsche etc.
I love it when people put these on Roadsters. How to you get the ciggy to the ashtray with ash on it, Poseur? Ranks in the top twenty useless additions to a car. Topping place to keep fuses and small light bulbs though. I normally remove the ashtray as they are often fitted just where I want to put my arm/hand when driving. They just get in the way. Look far better in a cabinet polished up with most other Schmitt extras. Boot rack and wind deflectors are OK. Sun visor is a damn nuisance. Cocoa nut matting is good but no longer available.

Best source of ashtrays is a German autojumble otherwise you are paying a mark up to the finder for going to the autojumble I fear.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »
Even the dark brown ashtrays are going to be about £60. White ones more, have paid £75 for a rare new one

That's nothing compared to the £85-£110 last time I was at mannheim!  >:(

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
my white one came out of a schmitt. sorry bob  ;D but i wanted £100 for it - have seen them reach that on ebay. when i need the cash thats where it will be then and we will see
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Ollie

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »
hello ollie you asked for an ashtray - i offerred you one ! what you should have posted was I WANT A CHEAP MESSERSCHMITT ASHTRAY

you didnt even reply to me - not impressed
Well im very sorry for not responding sooner but i have been away in france.I have also been thinking about the offer but £100 is a little to steep for me to afford.
Very sorry about you being NOT IMPRESSED !
Ollie

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 04:01:52 PM »
Hi Ollie
           Both you and big Al seem a little out of touch with the prices - maybe 10 years ago you could have bought a Brown one from Mannhein for £50 but not any more a couple of years ago I saw a Cream one at mannheim for about £150 on the friday and it was sold when I went back to ask the guy for his name and address, Hang on to your good one Richard and put it on E-Bay you be surprised at the result - you have some Messerschmitt Owners in Japan and America that are not short of a few bob - I have not seen one on my trips around the Autojumbles in the UK and the one Richard has got came off one of my Messerschmitts - he was going to put it on his Breutsh.
                                                                                                                                                            Mike

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »
I'M not impressed Richard as that ash tray is rightfully mine having being plunder from my Messerschmitt. If you could send it on to me it would be appreciated!

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »
Hi Bob
          I thought it was part of the spares that came with my 1955 KR 200 that came from Germany - were any fitted on UK car's??
                                                                                                                                                                 Mike

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 10:01:24 PM »
Hi MIke. I have no idea, I'm only pulling Richards leg anyway! :D :D :D MInd you it sounded like a confession to me!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:04:29 PM by Bob Purton »

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 10:30:29 PM »
Hi Bob
          Were they fitted to the UK cars or only to the German produced one, Big Al seems tp think that they were fitted to VW and Lloyd cars whick makes me think that they were German based - I have a UK ashtray not the same as the German one bakelite and cream in colour but not round but square £10 if anybody wants one. ( if I can find it !!!)
                                                                                                                                                Mike

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »
I have had British registered cars with these ashtrays in. In most cases brown or black (actually very dark brown). I think they were available as a bona fida Messerschmitt extra. Interestingly they do differ slightly from the VW ones. There is no reason they cannot be fitted as a period accessory to any car of the era but at the price it would seem unlikely now. That the price has risen is no surprise and I am warmed but not bothered as I am neither buying nor selling but have made a good investment. What it does suggest is my choice of not going to Mannheim is justified as the prices are now to high for me. I do not doubt profit may be made from buying these things when under the going rate but the margin as a percentage is poor on cash invested and the costs of attending only increase. There is better business to be had. However if you have a shopping list of things to get, possibly an order or two from Hieko and Oliver H or something, then it is a trip worth making to purchase as a collector/enthusiast. The days of my, and others, vacuuming up parts cheap are gone. The old hands will probably find enough stuff to re sale to get their costs back for attending. That is the benefit of experience and good luck to them I say. This is where a lot of the eBay rare bits come from so like I say, you are kind of left having to buy at the price or go without unless you are prepared to do the legwork yourself.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »
it was a confession bob but i made the decision to plunder way before you came into the picture :-[ yes the idea has been to fit it in the Bruetsch. same era.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »
I have had British registered cars with these ashtrays in. In most cases brown or black (actually very dark brown). I think they were available as a bona fida Messerschmitt extra. Interestingly they do differ slightly from the VW ones. There is no reason they cannot be fitted as a period accessory to any car of the era but at the price it would seem unlikely now. That the price has risen is no surprise and I am warmed but not bothered as I am neither buying nor selling but have made a good investment. What it does suggest is my choice of not going to Mannheim is justified as the prices are now to high for me. I do not doubt profit may be made from buying these things when under the going rate but the margin as a percentage is poor on cash invested and the costs of attending only increase. There is better business to be had. However if you have a shopping list of things to get, possibly an order or two from Hieko and Oliver H or something, then it is a trip worth making to purchase as a collector/enthusiast. The days of my, and others, vacuuming up parts cheap are gone. The old hands will probably find enough stuff to re sale to get their costs back for attending. That is the benefit of experience and good luck to them I say. This is where a lot of the eBay rare bits come from so like I say, you are kind of left having to buy at the price or go without unless you are prepared to do the legwork yourself.

Nothing is cheap anymore.  Ebay has seen to that.

You want you pay.  But you first have to have the option and luck to be given the choice to acquire.   Dither and you may be usurped...

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini