Author Topic: Sourcing a manufacturer Bruetsch Suspension medium  (Read 5474 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Sourcing a manufacturer Bruetsch Suspension medium
« on: March 03, 2015, 07:00:50 pm »
Does anying know anyone that could work with these technical drawings and produce just 7 or so units ? are these drawings of any use ? as always thanks for any suggestions
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Sourcing a manufacturer Bruetsch Suspension medium
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:07:39 pm »
sorry for the repeat but this is what they are for
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:29:49 pm »
Cant really see whats going on likewise.
Personally I would experiment with something ready made rather than going to the trouble and expense of having custom units made with no guarantee of them being the correct shore hardness.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:18:41 am »
And that's my problem Bob . I want to rebuild as was as its a one off , I cannot restore as the parts aren't there but I can't just rebuild to a different spec that's a different hobby . These are a rubber diaphragm with steel core and a plunger in the centre stretching and relaxing the rubber upwards and downwards
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:20:51 am by richard »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:52 am »
The unit would appear to be used not only as the suspension medium but also as is own damper.

This cannot have been a one off component. I could go along with it not being an automotive part. It is akin to an engine mount from a generator or some such. Either that or a vibration attenuator. As such it might be from a boat or a railway locomotive. It looks a bit heavy to be aeronautical. I know we discussed this before and some research was attempted. But equally those sorts of products might lead to a resource that can be used, or someone who can repair, or recreate, the part.
Historically moulding companies are not to keen on reusing steel containers but this looks a bit of complex thing to make. Also would it be made like most mounts, which are created under pressure in a mould? My dealings with such manufacturing has, at best, been about 5th hand.

A temporary solution might be to use an Imp/Lotus/Triumph Rotoflex unit. It would need an outer casing made to pick up on the body and three of the Rotaflex mounts. Two plates, some welding and bolts should achieve that. A standard spider on the other three Rotaflex mounts in the middle would have to be modified to fit the rod in the centre. A Rotaflex certainly has the torsion rigidity in two directions, so I assume it will have in the third. It might prove a but hard and it might shear as the force is mainly being applied at 90 degrees to the designed loading. They pretty tough. I do not think the Isetta version would be big or tough enough. Rotaflex units are easy obtainable second hand to see if the idea will work. Spiders are not normally desirable as they do not fail.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:19:46 am »
I fully understand the desire to put it back as totally original and that would be most satisfying. Good luck with that.  If it were my project I would use a non original part to get it moving and driving on the road and then concern myself with the correct part afterwards. Wasnt there talk of using a mini cone at one time?
I think what you are looking for is more an antiibration type mount. When you do duplicate the correct LOOKING part will it work any good? The car wasnt tested for any length of time to know. I guess if driving the car is not a priority it doesnt really matter to you.
You could have a chat with these people   http://www.antivibrationmethods.com/

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 10:03:27 am »
If you can make or reuse the existing steel parts there is a company in Birmingham that will vulcanise the nit rile rubber on.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 10:45:23 am »
Thanks for all the above , I will think on it all most helpful advice all around . Any details on that company Malcolm ? Thanks

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 05:58:41 pm »
B.H.Leake and sons
80 Dogpool Lane
Birmingham B30 2XH
Telephone number on Webb site.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 07:02:32 pm »
Ah, the locally-famous Dogpool Lane, near where I used to work.

Famous not for vulcanising things, but for the roadsign regularly having some wag paint out the first letter "L" ...   ::)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 07:22:12 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

i have emailed them , thanks Malcolm . But on reflection I imagine they will run a mile from supplying suspension units for a roadgoing vehicle - if only they knew eh  :)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 07:32:28 pm »
They re-tyre vintage car solid tyres, lag rollers, and have rubber grinding facilities. I have used them for 30 years in industry and found them very helpful.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 07:52:20 pm »
thanks for the tip

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 09:49:50 pm »
One of those gems of a company, in other words. Dave H, Trojan, told me that the technology to do solid wheels was all but dead. I said someone must be doing it as some traction engines have rubbered wheels for better use. Also I believe that the French at least use rubberised bogie wheels on their rail stock. It gives a better ride and is sacrificed to longer rail life of the perminant way. Be nice to know if that is correct.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs