Author Topic: Mini-Comtesse on eBay  (Read 39046 times)

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
Mini-Comtesse on eBay
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
Just noticed this working mini comtesse on eBay (item no 290828677388). There is a reserve but what do you think it is worth?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Mini-Comtesse on eBay
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »
The third photo in the listing showing the front end of the Minicomtesse with its front end up in the air while apparently pulling a wheeli trying to tow a Cadillac would be funnier if; there was someone in the Comtesse,
the front wheel wasn't perpendicular to the direction of travel, the rope wasn't slack, and it didn't have front wheel (albeit singular out of the 3 front wheels) drive.
Clearly there must be someone standing just inside the cropped out portion of the photo holding it up.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 02:12:34 PM »
Yes, I know that is a "duh".

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
Since the Mini Comtesses did not have registration documents when sold in France, how easy are they to register for use on Uk roads? How easy would they pass a UK MOT?
I need to stop buying!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:27:28 PM »
Scootashaun is the expert.  He managed to get a 125cc Willam registered.

I think a Mini Comtesse is going to be pretty difficult.  Once you have it registered it will be almost completely useless for any journey in the UK (unless you are considering a sort of self assisted euthanasia).

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 09:57:40 PM »

Once you have it registered it will be almost completely useless for any journey in the UK (unless you are considering a sort of self assisted euthanasia).

Let's take a look back at the "Good Old Days" of 2007 shall we.... (Read all three pages)   :)

http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=676.0

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:46:43 PM »
Great read Stuart, what an adventure. Did you register the Comtesse yourself? Have you still got it?
I need to stop buying!

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 06:40:25 AM »
no jonathan no no no ! not for U.K. you will need all kosher paperwork signing off by someone with the correct authority in the u.k. and they would NOT allow any of that . end of

jonathan please see p.m.

Woops, guess france is a bit different than the UK ;)

JP
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »
You could pretend to be a French tourist on the few occasions you run it on the road. Practice your Gallic shrug which defeats just about any British argument about anything and your about sorted. THereafter I have been advised to not say anything on the grounds it might be naughty. MInd you they changed the rules again since I did my last car - see prior rant.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »
 I really can't see why everyone seems to be having so much trouble trying to UK-register a Mini-Comtesse. Mine was bought ready-registered in 2006 from thingy-doo-dah in Leisctershire (I'll remember his name in a moment!, he's got a Nobel and a deep blue Trojan these days). He had brought it over from France two years earlier and had no trouble at all getting the proper age-related number on it. After all, the chassis plate has the year of build on it, and France is an EU country etc etc. Certainly no obstacles were encountered, nor did any dodgyness need to take place.

I can only assume therefore that anyone who frets about the registering of a Mini-Comtesse either hasn't actually physically tried it at any time and is only building obstructions in their own mind, or else they just can't help themseves doing it dodgy because they can't comprehend that "by the book" really is that simple. (More than a few names I could mention, but here is not the place...)

The things are virtually all 1975-build, so be happy with your N-reg plate rather than trying to pass it off as pre-1960 as I know three people at least are trying to do at this very moment!!!!! 

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 08:39:03 PM »

Let's take a look back at the "Good Old Days" of 2007 shall we.... (Read all three pages)   :)

http://www.rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=676.0

I was only re-reading the story of that epic voyage the other day. The titanic battle of one man and his microcar against the depravations of the Cotswolds is one of the most entertaining microcar tales I've ever read!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »
great stuff !! really enjoyed it and what i do like to read !  if i EVER get a car back on the road instead of just talking i will attempt to write something as entertaining . you have made your point i did miss at least one interesting thing during my sojourn in the wilderness  :) WELL DONE _ BELATEDLY
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 03:07:39 AM »
Just noticed this working mini comtesse on eBay (item no 290828677388). There is a reserve but what do you think it is worth?
[/quote

In answer to your question it seems that it was worth 1745 GBP to someone in the UK, and 1795 to some fool from America.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 09:22:16 AM »
Steven and I have been attempting to understand why his Mini Comtesse does not work. Clearly I have been a sounding board as I have no real experience of these cars/engines yet. The info on the net is - sketchy. A Norwegian manual, a few mixed Sachs parts books but nil on Comtesse, so as you notice, in terms of hard information. We have, I think found the faults and determined from first principles how the engine should work. However this still does not seem to tie in with the arrangement of controls in the car. The only offer of comparison had is with Stuarts old car. That now seems to have had quite a few mods on it too. My car is unavailable for sometime, so the question is, all those who have bought one of these cars or associated paperwork is;

a/ What does the paperwork offer as the array of controls. I know folk value their paperwork from copiests but the information is what we need, not the document as such.

b/ What controls are actually on your example and does it look original?

c/ Has anyone got the pedal power assembly intact

d/ Does yours have a decompresser

e/ Does yours have a hold down gear for descending steep hills and bump starting.

f/ Does yours have facility of starting without the electric starter?

g/ The biggy. Is there someone who actually knows these things inside out who is prepared to help.

This will go some way toward rationalizing the info on these cars and at last Steven can attempt to get his under its motive power with some sort of known control suite as a driver. There must now be at least 7 of these cars in Britain. Are they all just to be ornaments? I know I am guilty as well.

Anyway Steven is waiting for me to send him some info on parts suppliers so that the bits broken by a previous owner can be replaced. Theory is, tried to tow start the car at some speed, enough for it to change up to second. Not recommended if your tempted. Having bust it, passed it on for someone else to find out its inoperative.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »
On my super comtesse the decpompressor is a must if using the electric start. (only method to start).

Too obvious a question - do you have a spark?

On one of my cars the decompressor was slightly 'on'  I am pretty sure this is why the car was stored.
Freeing the decompressor was all that was required to get it going.

The pedal mechanism is disconnected on my car at home but its fairly straight forward set of chains around pulleys.

I don't know of a hold down gear - hill brake?  There is a lever for selecting reverse.